LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
proMusic
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2019
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
A Suggestion For New User Accounts:


When making a new user account and submitting your first thread you should be allowed to edit your post for mistakes.. Otherwise you're left wondering if the moderator will approve your thread because of the mistake.. Or if the moderator does approve the thread, then the thread could be up for a number of hours with the mistake present, and possibly leaving repiles to your thread inaccruate.. Also if the moderator decides not to approve your thread, they should be required to personal message you as to exactly why is was not approved. Else the user will be left wondering if his thread is still awaiting approval, and may attempt to submit again thinking it may have just got lost in the ether.

Last edited by proMusic; 05-22-2019 at 01:49 PM.
 
Old 05-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
BW-userx
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in my head.
Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / ArcoLinux / Void Linux
Posts: 8,658

Rep: Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798Reputation: 1798
I've never seen this forum (LQ) pull the post first to give it a go though before posting it to the forum. so you got time to post, the (reread) proof read , see you're oops , then fix it immediately afterwards.

Last edited by BW-userx; 05-22-2019 at 06:28 PM.
 
Old 05-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
hydrurga
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Pictland
Distribution: Linux Mint 19.1 MATE
Posts: 8,007
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW-userx View Post
I've never seen this forum (LQ) pull the post first to give it a go though before posting it to the forum. so you got time to post, the (reread) proof read , see you're oops , then fix it immediately afterwards.
As far I am aware, sometimes a first post automatically (depending on various criteria) has to go for mod/admin approval before going live. I'm assuming that the OP is meaning that the poster has no chance to edit the post during this approval period, and also doesn't know when it will be approved, meaning that they may not be around when it is finally approved, and thus are enable to be there to edit it straight away when it is.

Hopefully I'll be corrected if I'm wrong with this, both by the mods and the OP.
 
Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
astrogeek
Moderator
 
Registered: Oct 2008
Distribution: Slackware [64]-X.{0|1|2|37|-current} ::12<=X<=14, FreeBSD_12{.0|.1}
Posts: 5,122
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044Reputation: 3044
Usually new member posts are handled as all others, but in this age of spam the filters do sometimes hold one for moderation, which did happen in proMusic's case.

When that happens the forum mods try to review and approve them as quickly as possible. How long that may take depends on the time of day and phase of the moon as moderators are all volunteers too, so there is no set time limit.

I thought that members could see and edit their own posts even when held for moderation, but that may be in error. There is no test page for such things so I have no easy way of verifying that.

Hopefully all is now well in the OP's case and site developers will have read and considered the suggestion.

Thanks!
 
Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
proMusic
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2019
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrurga View Post
As far I am aware, sometimes a first post automatically (depending on various criteria) has to go for mod/admin approval before going live. I'm assuming that the OP is meaning that the poster has no chance to edit the post during this approval period, and also doesn't know when it will be approved, meaning that they may not be around when it is finally approved, and thus are enable to be there to edit it straight away when it is.

Hopefully I'll be corrected if I'm wrong with this, both by the mods and the OP.
That's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeek View Post
Usually new member posts are handled as all others, but in this age of spam the filters do sometimes hold one for moderation, which did happen in proMusic's case.

When that happens the forum mods try to review and approve them as quickly as possible. How long that may take depends on the time of day and phase of the moon as moderators are all volunteers too, so there is no set time limit.

I thought that members could see and edit their own posts even when held for moderation, but that may be in error. There is no test page for such things so I have no easy way of verifying that.

Hopefully all is now well in the OP's case and site developers will have read and considered the suggestion.

Thanks!
Maybe it's cause I used a 10 minute disposable email then... But yeah im I was not allowed to edit my post, in fact my profile said I didnt even post anything... But's all is good and well, thanks for listening..

Last edited by proMusic; 05-22-2019 at 09:47 PM.
 
Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
ntubski
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Distribution: Debian, Arch
Posts: 3,450

Rep: Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by proMusic View Post
When making a new user account and submitting your first thread you should be allowed to edit your post for mistakes.. Otherwise you're left wondering if the moderator will approve your thread because of the mistake..
Just thought it should be mentioned, moderators don't go around rejecting posts that have mistakes in them. Otherwise there would be a lot fewer posts...
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] [Suggestion] Linux Kernel 3.18 it's Longterm now, suggestion for Slackware Current sardinha Slackware 27 04-03-2015 05:17 PM
Merging Linux local accounts with LDAP accounts Nortekman Linux - Server 1 05-03-2009 11:20 PM
Fetchmail with multiple mail accounts and local accounts lmcilwain Linux - Software 3 04-01-2007 02:58 PM
samba accounts/ unix accounts Buzz88 Linux - Newbie 3 09-25-2005 08:16 AM
qmail -- new accounts can't receive mail, but old accounts can b:z *BSD 1 07-13-2005 12:42 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration