LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
ntu929

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4
Best way to use linuxquestions.org

Dear All,

Generally I approach linuxquestions.org for mainly two reasons:-

1. Help someone having problem with linux
2. Trying to find solution to my laptop's problems.

But I personally feel that this website has offer much more than just the above two.

For all classes of linux users
Novice
Experienced
Expert

Please how can anyone use it to best of advantage ?

Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
druuna
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405
I think most people come to LQ (and its sister sites Android Forum and Chrome OS Forum) to seek answers and most of those people will stick to the Forum part of the site. Which is a shame.

Depending on what people are looking for LQ does have some potentially interesting information which might not be available within the forums itself. These three are worth mentioning in my opinion:
- Linux HCL
- Linux Tutorials
- LQ Blogs

There are also the sticky posts in some of the sub-forums that have valuable information (the Security sub-forum being a prime example).

But it all comes down to the person that visits LQ: Is s/he only here to drop a quick question or does s/he take the time to get familiar with the site. Experience shows that a lot of people fall in the former category.

The main reason I visit LQ is to answer questions and not so much to ask questions.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #3
onebuck

Distribution: SlackwareŽ

Rep: Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158
Member Response

Hi,

Good question.
I can relate to what 'druuna' stated as a reason to visit LQ. Many years ago I visited LQ and joined mainly to give back to fellow Linux users. I tired of Usenet abuse along with childish spamming of informational posts/queries by trolls. This is not tolerated here at LQ since we are a moderated forum.

We have a broad spectrum of experienced users here at LQ from around the world. Even though sometimes a misunderstanding between members which can be due to translation, at most times the responses are very helpful for everyone in some way. Thus creating a great knowledge base for the user who will/can search for a particular topic or subject to aid in solving issue(s).

Personally, I have been an active member at LQ so as to help others in some way.

Members should look at the heading(s) or menus to move around the site so they can see how much LQ has to offer members. One stop shopping.

Good communication along with proper translations will always be our goal to provide help to everyone. Look at LQ Site FAQ.

Last edited by onebuck; 01-21-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
ntu929

Original Poster
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druuna View Post
I think most people come to LQ (and its sister sites Android Forum and Chrome OS Forum) to seek answers and most of those people will stick to the Forum part of the site. Which is a shame.

Depending on what people are looking for LQ does have some potentially interesting information which might not be available within the forums itself. These three are worth mentioning in my opinion:
- Linux HCL
- Linux Tutorials
- LQ Blogs

There are also the sticky posts in some of the sub-forums that have valuable information (the Security sub-forum being a prime example).

But it all comes down to the person that visits LQ: Is s/he only here to drop a quick question or does s/he take the time to get familiar with the site. Experience shows that a lot of people fall in the former category.

The main reason I visit LQ is to answer questions and not so much to ask questions.
Thank you for sharing your experience. What i was trying to say was the following .

What can linuxquestions.org offer to following set of people if their intent is to LEARN linux:-

1. Novice
2. Experienced
3. Experts.
Of course, every thread herein has huge amount of potential information. But many times they are not systematic to start from the basic.

Please forgive typos , sending mobile.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
ntu929

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

Good question.
I can relate to what 'druuna' stated as a reason to visit LQ. Many years ago I visited LQ and joined mainly to give back to fellow Linux users. I tired of Usenet abuse along with childish spamming of informational posts/queries by trolls. This is not tolerated here at LQ since we are a moderated forum.

We have a broad spectrum of experienced users here at LQ from around the world. Even though sometimes a misunderstanding between members which can be do to translation, at most times the responses are very helpful for everyone in some way. Thus creating a great knowledge base for the user who will/can search for a particular topic or subject to aid in solving issue(s).

Personally, I have been an active member at LQ so as to help others in some way.

Members should look at the heading(s) or menus to move around the site so they can see how much LQ has to offer members. One stop shopping.

Good communication along with proper translations will always be our goal to provide help to everyone. Look at LQ Site FAQ.
Thank you for reply. It is mainly due to your rich experience that all classes of linux users get benefited.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
onebuck

Distribution: SlackwareŽ

Rep: Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158Reputation: 3158
Member Response

Hi,

We all have good intent when it comes to something we care about.
Here in the mid-west it is getting cold but I'm off to Florida to warm these old bones. Hells freezing over! So I am off to get some sun & fun!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Spect73

Distribution: Slackware 14.1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntu929 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. What i was trying to say was the following .

What can linuxquestions.org offer to following set of people if their intent is to LEARN linux:-

1. Novice
2. Experienced
3. Experts.
Of course, every thread herein has huge amount of potential information. But many times they are not systematic to start from the basic.

Please forgive typos , sending mobile.
Well, how I use Linux Questions, what I get from it, and my take on learning Linux can be found in my blog.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #8
ntu929

Original Poster
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

We all have good intent when it comes to something we care about.
Here in the mid-west it is getting cold but I'm off to Florida to warm these old bones. Hells freezing over! So I am off to get some sun & fun!
Yes we have to do the needful for the body and also everybody..