LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
LenovoThinkpad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine View Post
Sometimes you don't see Windows update. Rescue is under 'advanced'. It will lead you through the steps to open a chroot shell. When I say, 'reboot the installed system', I mean don't reboot the install media. Reboot the system on the hard drive. Reboot never means 'reinstall'.
What do you mean with "reboot the system on the hard drive"? What is a chroot shell? Im still a beginner

Old 06-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #17
LenovoThinkpad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVOM View Post
'That screengrab isn't telling us which partition is the linux partition. It should be labeled as "ext4". Maybe you could open disk management in Windows and grab a screenshot from there.
https://ibb.co/j4tK4d here you can find the screenshot from windows disk management

Old 06-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901
Open chroot shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenovoThinkpad View Post
What do you mean with "reboot the system on the hard drive"? What is a chroot shell? Im still a beginner
Just slow down a bit and actually read the instructions I give. If you install Linux, it is on the hard drive. It is a Linux system. So it is the system on the hard drive vs the install media.

I already explained that 'rescue' in under advanced, and that it will guide you to open a chroot shell. If you don't slow down and learn something, you'll be a noob forever.

I have faith in you. Have some faith in yourself. You can do it. It's not difficult once you get used to it.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #19
LenovoThinkpad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeMachine View Post
Did you perform a Windows update per chance? Or is Windows configured for automatic updates? You actually just have to boot with the Ubuntu install media. Choose 'rescue'. Open a chroot shell in your '/' directory, probably /dev/sda2. type 'bash' to get a decent shell. Type 'grub install /dev/sda'. Exit and reboot the Linux installation. It should work again.
OK ill try to pay more attention and try to do it step by step. I am now using ubuntu (booted from a usb), so the first step is done. I got lost after the word "rescue". where should I choose rescue? in the boot menu before actually loading ubuntu?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #20
Rickkkk

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 302Reputation: 302Reputation: 302Reputation: 302
Quote:
I executed this code on ubuntus terminal, this are the results. but i dont know what to do now. Are you able to tell where is ubuntu just with that picture (and previous ones)?
Hi LenovoThinkpad,

This and the other screenshots you've provided from GParted and the Windows Disk Management snap-in pretty well confirm that Ubuntu is not installed anywhere on your system. If it was, it was probably in the 100+ Gb of what is now unallocated space. This means that you deleted the partition it was installed in.

You basically have 3 choices:

1) If you want linux installed as a bootable option, install it into the unallocated space and this will automatically repair your GRUB issue.

2) If you don't want to dual-boot linux, return the unallocated space to the Windows partition (if you don't know how to do this, let us know and we'll guide you). If your computer doesn't boot Windows properly, yancek's suggestion of efibootmgr will help you.

3) If you don't want to dual-boot linux and don't want to take the trouble to do the above, just leave everything as it is and use Windows. You will be sacrificing 100 Gb of usable space.

Hope this helps - Cheers.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #21
LenovoThinkpad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkkk View Post
Hi LenovoThinkpad,

This and the other screenshots you've provided from GParted and the Windows Disk Management snap-in pretty well confirm that Ubuntu is not installed anywhere on your system. If it was, it was probably in the 100+ Gb of what is now unallocated space. This means that you deleted the partition it was installed in.

You basically have 3 choices:

1) If you want linux installed as a bootable option, install it into the unallocated space and this will automatically repair your GRUB issue.

2) If you don't want to dual-boot linux, return the unallocated space to the Windows partition (if you don't know how to do this, let us know and we'll guide you). If your computer doesn't boot Windows properly, yancek's suggestion of efibootmgr will help you.

3) If you don't want to dual-boot linux and don't want to take the trouble to do the above, just leave everything as it is and use Windows. You will be sacrificing 100 Gb of usable space.

Hope this helps - Cheers.
I will try the first choice. I really want to use linux because im interested in learning from it, and my computer doesn ran windows very well. All I want is the GRUB problem solved.
Ill write back when i finish installing ubuntu in those 100gb (probably monday). Thank all of you a lot!

Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #22
AwesomeMachine
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian testing/sid; OpenSuSE; Fedora; Mint

Rep: Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901Reputation: 901
@OP, I forgot I looked at your gparted images. Linux is not installed. So, forget about using the rescue system. Just install Linux.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #23
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537Reputation: 1537
I would suggest that before you begin installing Ubuntu, you read the Ubuntu documentation at the link below on dual-booting with windows using EFI.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #24
Rickkkk

Quote:
I will try the first choice. I really want to use linux because im interested in learning from it, and my computer doesn ran windows very well. All I want is the GRUB problem solved.
Ill write back when i finish installing ubuntu in those 100gb (probably monday). Thank all of you a lot!
Good show - we're there to help you afterwards should you need it.

Heed yancek's advice above and read up on the Ubuntu install documentation, especially if you're not 100% comfortable with UEFI.

Have a great weekend !

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #25
LenovoThinkpad
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. Problem solved. I reinstalled linux and now its all ok. Again thanks a lot

Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #26
Rickkkk

Glad to hear it. Come back if ever you should need help again.