LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #31
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Older: Coherent, MacOS, Red Hat, Big Iron IXs: AIX, Solaris, Tru64

Rep: Reputation: 438Reputation: 438Reputation: 438Reputation: 438Reputation: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
I'm just going to leave this here:
https://idlewords.com/talks/website_...tm#heavyclouds
and more talks.
Interesting article (the one on website obesity). For some reason it got me wanting to dig into my stored books and pull out the copy of Jon Bentley's Programming Pearls (and its sequel).

Cheers...

Old 01-31-2021, 04:31 AM   #32
JSB

Rep: Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
I have what he's having... same here. I don't trust someone else with MY data, let alone would I pay someone else for use of their server to store MY data.

At the end of the day, "the cloud" is just a marketing term. It's really just another way of saying "someone else's server"... no thanks.
I agree with this also.
Cloud is only hype.
I want to have also server at home - maybe when I learn so much Linux that I can do this.