LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
lioh

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Streaming to chromecast using VLC

Hi all,

I am on -current and using the VLC SlackBuild from SBo. I have tried to stream a video to my Chromecast but the Renderer Option does not show the device and the 'Search' Option is grayed out. Avahi is installed and running and the device can be discovered through that. Streaming from Chrome works fine. Is there a dependency or compile option that I might miss?

Greetings

Lioh

Old 12-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
kgha

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE

Rep: Reputation: 153Reputation: 153
Works for me. However, I use AlienBob's vlc package (3.0.8), and there might be a difference between that and the SBo.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559
Works fine here, using my own VLC package, and no Avahi.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
lioh

Original Poster
Hmm, strange. Have you added any specific compile option in order to make it work to your SlackBuild @alienbob?

Old 12-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
lioh

Original Poster
Ah, I have just noticed that you have a requirement for protobuf. Going to check out if that helps.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559Reputation: 6559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lioh View Post
Ah, I have just noticed that you have a requirement for protobuf. Going to check out if that helps.
The SBo version of the vlc.SlackBuild also mentions protobuf as a requirement but does not mention why it is required. If you built from that script I would expect that protobuf is already installed on your computer.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
kgha

Quote:
Where did you find that requirement? Not mentioned in https://slackware.nl/people/alien/sb..._64-1alien.dep

vlc + chromecast works here although I haven't installed protobuf.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #8
lioh

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
The SBo version of the vlc.SlackBuild also mentions protobuf as a requirement but does not mention why it is required. If you built from that script I would expect that protobuf is already installed on your computer.
Ah, yes. It's the case here. Maybe it's just --enable-chromecast which is missing. Going to give it a try.

@kgha http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...vlc.SlackBuild - I assume that you also have alienBOB's version installed. I have checked it and with this version streaming to Chromecast works fine. I am just trying to figure out what is missing in the SBo SlackBuild.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
kgha

Quote:
I have checked it and with this version streaming to Chromecast works fine. I am just trying to figure out what is missing in the SBo SlackBuild.
I took a closer look at AlienBob's buildscript and realised that he (as he often does) integrates a lot of things, codecs and other stuff, into his package - protobuf among them. See https://slackware.nl/people/alien/sl...build/sources/

Guess that explains why hos vlc package works, even though I've never installed a protobuf package.

And yes, --enable-chromecast is part of his script.