LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
k221
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Second linux questions

Hi, in the moment I have Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu on my laptop, ald I'd like to install second linux, but I have a few questions connected with it:

* can I install second time the same Ubuntu? - I ask because on my Ubuntu graphic driver doesn't work as I would it to do, but I tried very hard to make it work at all, and I need Ubuntu for studying, so I thought I could (if it is possible) install second time this Ubuntu and try make all perfect on it, without risking other systems,

* can I install next system on other disc - I have two in my laptop, the second is slower but bigger, so I would like to install system there if possible,

* what with grub? - when I installed Ubuntu I overridden windows loader with Ubuntu's grub, when I install second Linux (Fedora or Ubuntu if possible) it will probabely override Ubuntu's grub. Can that be a problem? Will it be if I install next linux on other disc?

Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723
Is your windows 10 installation UEFI?
If your Ubuntu installation UEFI?

You can install to the 2nd disk but the method differs if you are using Legacy/CSM or UEFI.

If you install another Ubuntu on the same computer and you are using Legacy, the default install of the bootloader will be to overwrite the Grub code in the MBR. If you read the instructions during the install, this won't happen if you make the appropriate selections. Can't give any more details without more information but I would expect that a new install of Ubuntu in UEFI will overwrite the Grub code on the EFI partition of the initial installation. Haven't done this myself so it is speculation.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / Linux Mint / Debian / Void Linux

Rep: Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740
Quote:
Originally Posted by k221 View Post
Hi, in the moment I have Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu on my laptop, ald I'd like to install second linux, but I have a few questions connected with it:

* can I install second time the same Ubuntu? - I ask because on my Ubuntu graphic driver doesn't work as I would it to do, but I tried very hard to make it work at all, and I need Ubuntu for studying, so I thought I could (if it is possible) install second time this Ubuntu and try make all perfect on it, without risking other systems,

* can I install next system on other disc - I have two in my laptop, the second is slower but bigger, so I would like to install system there if possible,

* what with grub? - when I installed Ubuntu I overridden windows loader with Ubuntu's grub, when I install second Linux (Fedora or Ubuntu if possible) it will probabely override Ubuntu's grub. Can that be a problem? Will it be if I install next linux on other disc?
if your graphics driver is not working on the first Ubuntutu install, what makes you think it will on the second one.

as yes you can install it as many times as you like on different partitions. though would it not be better to give the issues you are already having with that first install then just fix it. instead of installing another one and fixing that one instead?

Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836Reputation: 2836
"can I install second time the same Ubuntu" Some installers will actually try to keep you from loading linux over linux so you may have to delete partition in windows and then run installer.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #5
k221
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Is your windows 10 installation UEFI?
If your Ubuntu installation UEFI?
Yes, Windows 10 uses UEFI so must Ubuntu which makes problems with installation of external drivers

Quote:
he default install of the bootloader will be to overwrite the Grub code in the MBR
Is that a problem? I mean if I have a few operationg systems on my computer first thing Grup does is to allow me to choose which one I want to use (I mean I vae it now that way, I thought that on other linux would be the same)

Quote:
if your graphics driver is not working on the first Ubuntutu install, what makes you think it will on the second one.

as yes you can install it as many times as you like on different partitions. though would it not be better to give the issues you are already having with that first install then just fix it. instead of installing another one and fixing that one instead?
I'd like to try another drivers, and eventually find one that works perfectly, but last time I've tried I broke graphic (and it's quite hard to try to do sth on computer where graphics don't work properly), and the easiest way that I used to fix it was to reinstall linux and try another way. Now I con't do it, because I have too many important files, I also don't have time to fix it, because I need linux for my tasks on university, so I found out the best way is to have other linux which I could reinstall if something went wrong.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
BW-userx
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware 14.2 current / Linux Mint / Debian / Void Linux

Rep: Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740Reputation: 1740
Windows 10 and UEFI, doesn't always use UEFI, the WIndows 10 I have is MBR and the usb installer I created via Microsoft it only allows me to install Windows 10 MBR. It will not install UEFI at all. the newer installed on the hardware as UEFI, then yes chances are it is UEFI, but not always the case as mine is the proof to that.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: PCLinux, Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723Reputation: 1723
My understanding is that the Ubuntu Grub on an EFI machine will install to the first EFI partition on the First drive. I have read a number of posts by experienced users who have created an EFI partition on a second drive to do what you want, install Ubuntu separately. It still installs to the EFI on the first drive. Safest bet is to disconnect the first drive and just use the second drive to install Ubuntu to either by creating an EFI partition there or doing a Legacy install. THe Legacy install of Grub won't boot windows but should boot the Linux install on the EFI drive.