LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Elie99374
Member
 
Registered: May 2020
Location: Jerusalem Israel
Posts: 48

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
sources of information about Virtualization


hey guys,
i'd like to get very easy to understand sources of information about what basicly is Virtualization and the things i sohould know about it as a novice to the linux world please

youtube videos well be great too,
of course i can search the web myself but i'm guessing you already know what is good and what is not a good source of information
 
Old 05-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS
Posts: 3,289

Rep: Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409
To know what you might need to know about it, we would need to understand why you need to know ANYTHING about it!

What are your goals in learning about virtualization? Do you plan to use virtualization, and if so for what purpose?

As a novice to the Linux world, are you, perhaps, also a novice to the world of virtualization?

In the absence of such information, I would suggest first learning the general terms and meanings. I would look up virtualization and the modifiers "full virtualization", "para-virtualization", "containers" and "kernel based virtualization", and "hardware emulation" just as a start.
Perhaps with that as a grounding, more direction questions will come to you that you might either use to guide additional studies, or with which you could form more useful questions for this forum.
 
Old 05-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Elie99374
Member
 
Registered: May 2020
Location: Jerusalem Israel
Posts: 48

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
To know what you might need to know about it, we would need to understand why you need to know ANYTHING about it!

What are your goals in learning about virtualization? Do you plan to use virtualization, and if so for what purpose?

As a novice to the Linux world, are you, perhaps, also a novice to the world of virtualization?

In the absence of such information, I would suggest first learning the general terms and meanings. I would look up virtualization and the modifiers "full virtualization", "para-virtualization", "containers" and "kernel based virtualization", and "hardware emulation" just as a start.
Perhaps with that as a grounding, more direction questions will come to you that you might either use to guide additional studies, or with which you could form more useful questions for this forum.

i don't need to know anything about it,
i WANT to know bcause i started thisa journey of learning things that have to do with linux in general
even if the connection is remote,
there are few reasons for this journey,
the main ones are to elvaite myself beyond what i'm capble of doing right now and also because i think this knoladge will help me in the future especioly knowing that i'm going to spend a big portion of my life working with computers,
i'd like to have a better time and feel more comfortable around computers and servers and everything related,


i am also a novice to the world of virtualization.

you gave the directions i needed so i'll go learning now and be back when i'm ready to take the next step
 
Old 05-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Elie99374
Member
 
Registered: May 2020
Location: Jerusalem Israel
Posts: 48

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie99374 View Post
i don't need to know anything about it,
i WANT to know bcause i started thisa journey of learning things that have to do with linux in general
even if the connection is remote,
there are few reasons for this journey,
the main ones are to elvaite myself beyond what i'm capble of doing right now and also because i think this knoladge will help me in the future especioly knowing that i'm going to spend a big portion of my life working with computers,
i'd like to have a better time and feel more comfortable around computers and servers and everything related,


i am also a novice to the world of virtualization.

you gave the directions i needed so i'll go learning now and be back when i'm ready to take the next step

to be more specific,
i'm learning programing,
i don't want to stuck with windows and many other oversimplefied programs which keep me dumb and paying a lot of money to M$ and other companies for no real reason...
i like the FOSS way of doing things and i like the idea of a comunity,
in general i relate to mostly everything about the linux way and spirit
 
Old 05-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #5
wpeckham
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, Vsido, tinycore, Q4OS
Posts: 3,289

Rep: Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409Reputation: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie99374 View Post
to be more specific,
i'm learning programing,
i don't want to stuck with windows and many other oversimplefied programs which keep me dumb and paying a lot of money to M$ and other companies for no real reason...
i like the FOSS way of doing things and i like the idea of a comunity,
in general i relate to mostly everything about the linux way and spirit
I see. There is little DIRECTLY to do with virtualization that serves a programming education purpose. Indirectly however, there is much. Development environments, testing environments, isolation and risk mitigation during development, are all areas where SOME knowledge of virtualization might serve you well.

That said, virtualization did not start and is not unique to Linux. Even containerization did not start and is not unique to Linux, although it is fair to say it is certainly maturing in the Linux space. The FOSS and Linux environment is a wonderful one in which to play with virtualization. Because of these things, and the freedom of many of the virtualization tools in this space, your goals will be well served by combining the two. Welcome to the jungle!

Once you have the basic terms down, you might want to consider a little reading about engines and tools not limited to: containers (LXC, OpenVZ for example), Paravirtualization engines (XEN for example), and full virtualization tools (OpenVZ, VirtualBox, QEMU, VMWARE for example).

Some are open source, others have open source components or tool-sets, a few are closed source but freely available and too good at SOMETHING to totally avoid. Clearly the advantage to the programmer that wants to examine CODE is with the OSS subset, but all have some value.

Best of luck!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:51 AM   #6
!!!
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2017
Location: Fremont, CA, USA
Distribution: Trying any&ALL on old/minimal
Posts: 708

Rep: Reputation: 300Reputation: 300Reputation: 300Reputation: 300
@Elie..... Have you tried VirtualBox.org on your current M$WinPC?
OSboxes.org has pre-installed .vdi's. DistroWatch.com
Add 'wiki' to web [re]search studying! Enjoy. Best wishes!!!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Qusserel
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Nov 2018
Posts: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie99374 View Post
to be more specific,
i'm learning programing,
i don't want to stuck with windows and many other oversimplefied programs which keep me dumb and paying a lot of money to M$ and other companies for no real reason... https://au.edubirdie.com/pay-for-papers
i like the FOSS way of doing things and i like the idea of a comunity,
in general i relate to mostly everything about the linux way and spirit
it's very interesting

Last edited by Qusserel; Today at 12:45 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Error: Target Sources (main/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:22 Commomore Linux - Newbie 12 02-05-2019 12:24 AM
sources.list...no sources! phantom_cyph Fedora 4 10-16-2007 09:26 PM
Need Recommendation for Debian Etch sources.list ( /etc/apt/sources.list ) forgox Debian 6 05-05-2007 01:57 PM
Ubuntu Sources List! I need some great sources lists! Jengo Linux - Newbie 1 06-24-2005 04:50 PM
Software Sources Manager, how to add installation cd sources after deletion Lakota Mandriva 1 10-23-2003 12:39 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration