LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
guti
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian 9

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
systemd root authentication every new shell session

Hello,
I'm running Debian stable 9.3. Since last night I have a problem with systemd behaviour. I suppose it's not Debian specific--it's rather systemd. And I'm completely new to the systemd.

Every new instance of shell session I'm asked to type root password. (I'm logged in as regular user, obviously.) It is regardles of shell type. Either TTY1 or graphical terminal emulators it's the same. Before I'll be able to see my prompt I got a message (partly in Polish).

Code:
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-unit-files ===
Wymagane jest uwierzytelnienie, aby zarządzać plikami usług lub jednostek systemu.
Authenticating as: root
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATION COMPLETE ===
Removed /etc/systemd/system/default.target.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target → /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.reload-daemon ===
Wymagane jest uwierzytelnienie, aby ponownie wczytać stan systemd.
Password: 
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-unit-files ===
Wymagane jest uwierzytelnienie, aby zarządzać plikami usług lub jednostek systemu.
Password: 
Removed /etc/systemd/system/default.target.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target → /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target.
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.reload-daemon ===
Wymagane jest uwierzytelnienie, aby ponownie wczytać stan systemd.
Password: 
szymon@t60:~$
This Polish phrases are about authentication needed.

I can't ignore this, because if I won't type the password for a while I got message:
Code:
Password: Failed to set default target: Method call timed out
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
And shell becomes kind of inactive--I can't type anything, although prompt is visible.

The /var/log/auth.log after starting new terminal emulator window
Code:
Dec 16 08:12:44 t60 polkitd(authority=local): Registered Authentication Agent for unix-process:2375:3585428 (system bus name :1.86 [/usr/bin/pkttyagent --notify-fd 4 --fallback], object path /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale pl_PL.UTF-8)
I even remember what caused this problem. (It was me...) That was issuing the following command without SUDO:
Code:
systemctl set-default multi-user.target
As far as I remember it asked for the root password and since then I got this annoying issue.

What I was trying to accomplish was login to my system in non-GUI mode, not by GDM or whatever I'm using now. That command was part of some random tutorial about systemd and non-GUI login. My bad, I didn't understand what I'm doing. I don't know how to reverse that. Could you please help me?

Old 12-18-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by guti View Post
I even remember what caused this problem. (It was me...) That was issuing the following command without SUDO:
Code:
systemctl set-default multi-user.target
As far as I remember it asked for the root password and since then I got this annoying issue.
interesting.
have a look in $HOME/.config/ there should be a systemd directory with something reflecting this action.
rename the directory to something systemd won't find.
does it help?

PS:
if you post command output, prepend each command with 'LC_ALL=C' to make it english.