LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
Robert69
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS stalls during boot process

We could not access our network files this morning so I restarted the network services via a console window. This process completed and I was able to ping local and internet. But, we still could not access the network shares So I issued a "shutdown -r now" to reboot. I did not see the normal shutdown process (nothing was happening) so I ended up doing a hard shutdown. Now, when I boot up it keeps getting stuck after starting the first couple processes:

*Setting sensor limits [ok]
*Starting domain name services [ok]
*Starting postfix mail transport agent [ok]
*Starting Samba 4 demon [ok]
*Starting RDS deamon [ok]
*Stopping NTP Server [ok]
*Starting NTP Server [ok]
_

That is where it hangs.

I have booted from CD to go into "rescue a broken system". It goes through the first few steps and lists all the partitions to use as a root file system. This is where I get stuck a bit.
My options are:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2
/dev/sdc1
/dev/sdc2
/dev/sdd1
/dev/sdd2
/dev/md1
/dev/md0
do not use a root file system

When I choose any options from sda1 to sdd2 i get : "an error occurred while mounting..."

when I try to use md0 I get :an error occurred wile mounting the device you entered for your root file system at /dev/md0 on /target.

please check the syslog for more information: Any suggestions on how I can get to this syslog?

I have my Ubuntu setup with a RAID 5 (hence the sda, sdb, sdc and sdd devices) Those are my 4 HDD.
After I get the error on mounting md0, I have an option to exit to the shell. When I do so I used mdadm to check on the RAID.
I was able to check on the RAID status by executing mdadm -D -t /dev/md0

This reported the entire RAID 5. 4 devices, correct size, and a state=Clean

So, I am somewhat hopeful the RAID is in good shape. The fact that it starts the boot process somewhat confirms that. It just gets hung up after Starting NTP server. Although, that does seem to complete indicated by the [ok]

I am looking for advice at this point: Any idea why it hangs booting after it starts the NTP server? Any idea to figure what it is trying to load at that point?

Should I reinstall the GRUB boot loader? and if so where?

Any other advice?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678Reputation: 2678
You have a lot going on here.

Why is this version so old?
Can you consider using an up to date distro?
Do you have backups?
Can you consider making a backup?
Almost any current live media should be able to boot and view the logs. Some disto's may not have lvm support but they can usually add it in live. I'd consider booting to a live ubuntu just to make things similar.

I woudn't play with grub just yet.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
Robert69
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hey Jefro, no excuse on why it is so old. It just runs, so I have not worried about updates too much. I do have all current backups of the data, so i am not concerned about data loss. Just the pain of having to setup a new domain server and changing 40 work stations to sign into a new domain if I have to rebuild this guy.
I will look into booting into a live distro so I can look for logs. Thanks.