LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2020, 01:58 AM   #1
Shubh64337
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Bluetooth adapter doesn't get detected in kernel versions newer than 4.19.6

Hi, I have installed many distributions and in all of them with kernel versions 5.x, bluetooth adapter doesn't get detected in the dmesg log. There is no hci0 device detection in dmesg. I have a dual boot setup with windows 10. In windows, bluetooth works fine. However, if I install a distribution with 4.19.x kernel or install ubuntu's 4.19.x kernel on a distro and boot from that kernel, my hci0 bluetooth adapter gets detected and works fine. My bluetooth adapter is realtek rtl8723d. Also, the adapter gets detected even in the newer kernels if it is in a virtual machine, but not in dual boot.
Moreover, once I am in the older kernel in linux and bluetooth is working fine, if I boot into newer kernel, obviously, bluetooth doesn't work in that, but now, even if I reboot into older kernel, bluetooth stops working there too! Then I have to boot at least once into windows to make bluetooth work in the 4.19.x kernels. It seems like the newer kernel sort of leaves the adapter in a useless state which is restored only by Windows.

Can anybody please tell me why bluetooth adapter is not getting detected in newer kernels and how can I make it work?

Old 06-03-2020, 04:14 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Guru

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741Reputation: 4741
duplicate of https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ls-4175676390/

Closed Thread