LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Skinner1968
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Setting up SSL / Need to Setup Mail first


I am trying to set up SSL and I got a certificate from Comodo but they sent an email to hostmaster@mysite.org but I don't have the inbox set up. Postfix is installed (Ubuntu 16.04) and when I send mails through PHP mail() it works fine, but I now need to receive mail. I am ok with CL/Bash for lots of other stuff but have got "confused" with this one as I need to get it sorted for a project very soon. Virtual Server on Virtualmin.

Any help kindly appreciated.
 
Old 02-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
bathory
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Piraeus
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 12,004

Rep: Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624
Hi and welcome to LQ,

Usually the postmaster account is aliased to root.
So login as root (or use sudo) and use a CLI utility like mail, mutt, pine, to read root's mail

Regards
 
Old 02-14-2018, 01:24 AM   #3
Hostech_Support
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2017
Location: India
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner1968 View Post
I am trying to set up SSL and I got a certificate from Comodo but they sent an email to hostmaster@mysite.org but I don't have the inbox set up. Postfix is installed (Ubuntu 16.04) and when I send mails through PHP mail() it works fine, but I now need to receive mail. I am ok with CL/Bash for lots of other stuff but have got "confused" with this one as I need to get it sorted for a project very soon. Virtual Server on Virtualmin.

Any help kindly appreciated.
>> Have you installed IMAP package on the Server? Dovecot-IMAP with Squirrelmail has a very simple configuration that you can use for webmail access for your Mailboxes.
 
Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
bathory
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Piraeus
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 12,004

Rep: Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostech_Support View Post
>> Have you installed IMAP package on the Server? Dovecot-IMAP with Squirrelmail has a very simple configuration that you can use for webmail access for your Mailboxes.
FYI by default no imap server will accept root logins neither from CLI nor through client/webmail.
So OPs best chance is to use one of the mail utilities in my previous post

Regards
 
Old 02-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
scasey
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Distribution: CentOS 7.4
Posts: 581

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathory View Post
FYI by default no imap server will accept root logins neither from CLI nor through client/webmail.
So OPs best chance is to use one of the mail utilities in my previous post
True, bathory, but OP is looking to receive mail addressed to hostmaster@ -- not postmaster@, so doesn't he need to set up that user (hostmaster) to be able to receive mail to it?

I don't know postfix - or mailx - to help him do that...

[although he should probably check root's mail as you suggested, just in case]
 
Old 02-15-2018, 01:37 AM   #6
bathory
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Piraeus
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 12,004

Rep: Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624Reputation: 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by scasey View Post
True, bathory, but OP is looking to receive mail addressed to hostmaster@ -- not postmaster@, so doesn't he need to set up that user (hostmaster) to be able to receive mail to it?

I don't know postfix - or mailx - to help him do that...

[although he should probably check root's mail as you suggested, just in case]
You're right. It's hostmaster that is not a default system account.

@OP
You need to create the user hostmaster, or just make him an alias to root.
 
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
Skinner1968
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2018
Location: York, UK
Posts: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
SSL / Mail

All solved now thanks, just used Webmin to install SSL.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-Mail relay to use outdated mail client without SSL/TLS support? dan12343 Linux - Server 3 07-13-2016 10:00 PM
Can send mail but Not able to receive mail. Postfixadmin, dovecot, postfix setup RajeshThakur Linux - Newbie 9 04-20-2012 09:31 AM
Setup an MTA to pass mail onto an external ISP/mail provider MrShrek Linux - Server 2 07-06-2009 06:17 AM
LXer: Debian Mail Server Setup with Postfix + Dovecot + SASL + Squirrel Mail LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-12-2008 11:50 PM
Help me guide to setup mail server as a mail-gateway use spamassasin (use sendmail) adcom99 Linux - Newbie 1 11-03-2007 04:47 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration