LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #751
bamunds

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2 Multilib

Rep: Reputation: 132Reputation: 132

Both 4.4.139 and 4.4.140 have some Spectre v1 mitigations for those watching this thread for Spectre and Meltdown mitigations.

I have always wondered what experts in Slackware do with kernel of same major release (i.e 4.4 or 4.14)when a patch is released? Specifically is it better to rebuild the kernel patch release or to apply the patch to the main kernel? Example DL the kernel 4.4.140 or DL the patch or inc. patch and apply?

I have always rebuilt, but was wondering if I can skip all the steps that AlienBob list in his great article "kernel building", ex. make bzImage modules, make modules_install, system map, then modifying lilo. If I simply follow the patch process does that actually change anything in /boot or does it simply add patching to the /usr/src/linux present kernel and you still have go through the "Building your kernel" and Modify the lilo.conf.

Advice is appreciated. Cheers, BrianA_MN

Last edited by bamunds; 07-13-2018 at 11:13 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.