LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120Reputation: 4120

For a different perspective have a read of this - which was linked in a thread here about a month ago b yenorbet.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #17
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
For a different perspective have a read of this - which was linked in a thread here about a month ago b yenorbet.
Not sure how that's a "different" perspective? Definitely worth reading though.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:48 AM   #18
Michael Uplawski

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Reminds me of the code generator that I had been involved with. Without going into details, it allowed enterprises to create their own graphical controls to integrate into their own C/C++ and/or Java-programs. It's current or latest (or obsolete, I do not know?) version is here.

One concrete application was a launching customer's simulator that was basically designed in vector-graphics with a few variables that allowed moving things around on screen. In the design-software, you hit a button and the system spouted out code.

My demo of the system consisted of a semi-transparent barrel that you could fill up with liquid, then move around and tilt, when its C++ code had been used in a program.

This kind of application convinced me that there a lot to gain from generating code instead of writing each component yourself. You have to know a few things, which are not part of a programmers daily worries but you can concentrate a lot better on what you want to achieve, based on your specific experience in a profession which does *not* include programming.

I loved this generator, as, on our side, it was completely hilarious. A project without limits, as, in the beginning, it was not just GUI-oriented but meant to relieve our boss of *ALL* development, as he thought it took too much time...

Only, do not call it programming either, nor coding, as it is not.

Instead of creating the generator with Apache Cocoon, which would have been a good idea at that time, we built the pipeline-structure ourselves.

Last edited by Michael Uplawski; 07-13-2019 at 02:03 AM. Reason: ... kraut2english, an ongoing effort.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #19
fatmac
LQ Guru

Distribution: Mainly Devuan, antiX, & Void, with Tiny Core, Fatdog, & BSD thrown in.

I don't say these 'easy to code' programs are 'real' programming, but they do teach the basics of joining sections of code together to create a program, little steps towards the understanding of what constitutes a program.

If they do what is needed, I'd likely use one, but I'm more likely to use python in preference to C/C++ these days too, not that I'm a programmer, only an occasional dabbler.

We do seem to have moved away from assembler, though, haven't we.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #20
hazel
LQ Guru

Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451
Good! This is the kind of debate I was hoping to raise. I also have the feeling that this isn't what we used to call "programming" back in the dark ages.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #21
Michael Uplawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
feeling that this isn't what we used to call "programming" back in the dark ages.
If I were to advocate code generators, I could respond: Use programming where programming is needed. Use other things where they are comfortable to use.

But as everything is going to hell, anyway, I say: do whatever you like. Love it if it matters to you.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #22
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Uplawski View Post
Reminds me of the code generator that I had been involved with. Without going into details, it allowed enterprises to create their own graphical controls to integrate into their own C/C++ and/or Java-programs. It's current or latest (or obsolete, I do not know?) version is here.

One concrete application was a launching customer's simulator that was basically designed in vector-graphics with a few variables that allowed moving things around on screen. In the design-software, you hit a button and the system spouted out code.

My demo of the system consisted of a semi-transparent barrel that you could fill up with liquid, then move around and tilt, when its C++ code had been used in a program.

This kind of application convinced me that there a lot to gain from generating code instead of writing each component yourself. You have to know a few things, which are not part of a programmers daily worries but you can concentrate a lot better on what you want to achieve, based on your specific experience in a profession which does *not* include programming.

I loved this generator, as, on our side, it was completely hilarious. A project without limits, as, in the beginning, it was not just GUI-oriented but meant to relieve our boss of *ALL* development, as he thought it took too much time...

Only, do not call it programming either, nor coding, as it is not.

Instead of creating the generator with Apache Cocoon, which would have been a good idea at that time, we built the pipeline-structure ourselves.
You were involved with the creation of Borland C++? Or Microsoft Visual Studio?
I have used GUI window*icreation programs and I agree that they're a great time saver and think that they leave time for one to actually code.

I have to admit that I am not a programer or anything like -- I took a coupkle of courses in programing and write scrips when I need them. So, perhaps, i'm a bit envious of "programers" rgardless of which tools they use.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
Michael Uplawski

I do not talk about IDEs but XML-based Code-generators.