LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #16
system001

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio R. Cavalcanti View Post
I was thinking that I didn't consider drivers.

think i might actually have to agree with you on this. read my post just above this one and you will see why.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
barfly
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu 19.04

Have you tried checking what pulseaudio is doing? I have had ongoing sound issues and use simultaneous output with amplifier and headphones and pulse is the goto place for enabling simultaneous output.

My wife has very sensitive hearing and hates modern films/tv shows with all their sudden crescendos, so wants the sound down very low. I like to hear the dialogue so I know what is happening in the show and don't care about the sudden loud bits in my headphones. The wife is happy for me to explain what's going on in the show's plot as she can't hear the dialogue, don't ask----I've had 49 years of this........

What is the source of your audio? HDMI audio for instance can be tricky and needs unique settings, I know, that's what I am using through my Sony amplifier.
see the pulseaudio screenshots. The image pulse2 is a truncated one because the open dialogue boxes which show all the HDMI connections disappear when focus is removed so a screenshot is not possible.
EDIT- I took a shot with my mobile and it shows the HDMI connections (all disconnected apart from one).

I can enable the system sounds from the settings manger for individual notifications. I just turn them off-they are almost as annoying as the constant beeps from my car if I leave a door open-sometimes I just want to rip out the dashboard and stamp on the bloody peizo mini speaker.......don't mention the seatbelt beeper.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulse.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	31010   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulse1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	31011   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulse2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	31012   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulse3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	31013  

Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
system001

Original Poster
in the kde bug report that my bug report was linked to looks to be a plasma problem. one person had just installed manjaro kde and has no notification sounds. i just installed manjaro yesterday and it has no notification sounds.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #19
Flavio R. Cavalcanti
LQ Newbie

Distribution: KDE Neon, Mageia, Kubuntu, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mint KDE, Slackware, Arch, Sabayon, Debian, Devuan

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by system001 View Post
in the kde bug report that my bug report was linked to looks to be a plasma problem. one person had just installed manjaro kde and has no notification sounds. i just installed manjaro yesterday and it has no notification sounds.
Could you point the link to this bug? Excuse if you did already, but I could not find.

Well, coming back to KDE, Qt, Frameworks...

I have noted that Notifications Sound had gone away in Fedora and KDE Neon.

(It didn't happen with Mageia, Debian, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mint, Slackware, Arch, Sabayon or Devuan).

And I could get it again in Fedora and KDE Neon ─ just dealing with ON / OFF button in:

System settings > Multimedia > Audio volume > Applications > Notifications sounds

In KDE Neon, I can slide volume from 0 to 100%, and it keeps new level, and it really affects Notifications sound level.

In Fedora 30 KDE, volume always go back to zero ─ but after this, it goes MUTE.

So, I just tested Mute (ON / OFF) and it worked ─ even with slide control at zero.

I am using just Panel Volume controls, now.

Last edited by Flavio R. Cavalcanti; 08-05-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
system001

Original Poster
sure here you go

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=407397

Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
Flavio R. Cavalcanti
LQ Newbie

Distribution: KDE Neon, Mageia, Kubuntu, openSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mint KDE, Slackware, Arch, Sabayon, Debian, Devuan

Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by system001 View Post
Thank you.

My experience is similar to #14:

Code:
Musikolo 2019-08-03 13:07:06 UTC
I just found that after clicking on the mute button of the Notification Sounds bar, although the sound level is 0%, notification sound is back again! This is very strange, but it worked!!