LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
CycleRob
LQ Newbie

Distribution: LMCinn 18.3 on a 28" HomeBuiltDesktop & LM xfce 18.3 on a 17" HP Laptop + old Dell Pentium4 Desktop.

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Mouse left click text highlight no longer copies it

Mint Cinnamon 18.3. It used to work, that in addition to right clicking the highlighted text and using <Ctrl-C>, a second way to copy highlighted text was to just left-click and scan it. Pretty cool that it gave 2 usable ways <Ctrl-V> or mouse right-Click to "Paste" 2 stored selections. I do not know what caused it to stop functioning, maybe during an Update Manager Update. If this is a known problem, how do I fix it?

Also, (less important), in Terminal I use up arrow history twice before shutdown for UpTime and fstrim. How do I delete (or selectively delete) the (lengthy!) different undesireable history displayed with a keyboard's UpArrow? Terminal Help was NO help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CycleRob; 06-14-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Mechanikx

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 108Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleRob View Post
Also, In a Terminal how do I delete (or selectively delete) the (lengthy!) history displayed with a keyboard's UpArrow? Terminal Help was NO help.

Thanks in advance.
Honestly I'm not aware of a terminal that keeps a history of commands you've executed. That's usually the job of the shell. If you're using bash, you can check by entering:

Quote:
echo $0
or

Quote:
echo $SHELL
If you're using bash you can enter:

Quote:
history -c
then

Quote:
history -w
or just:

Quote:
history -c && history -w
And you'll be good to go.

EDIT:

This will wipe out your entire history.

Last edited by Mechanikx; 06-14-2019 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Added info.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819
History tends to be stored in $HOME/.bash_history, which you could edit I suppose. Although edits wouldn't take till the next su / login. .bash_history isn't saved in an xterm until you exit.

As far as cut and paste, X has it's own buffer, you can highlight text in a terminal and the middle mouse button will paste it. The ^V doesn't in most cases, unless you right mouse something and say copy/cut or whatever. Otherwise the usual ^X ^C ^V things apply that also apply in windows.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
scasey

Distribution: CentOS 7.6

Rep: Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleRob View Post
Also, (less important), in Terminal I use up arrow history twice before shutdown for UpTime and fstrim. How do I delete (or selectively delete) the (lengthy!) different undesireable history displayed with a keyboard's UpArrow? Terminal Help was NO help.
Presuming bash -- you can re-execute commands from history using !command, which can be shortend to a minimum match.
So, if your history contains
Code:
uptime
fstrim
and there are not intervening commands starting with u or f, you could type
Code:
!u
!f
to run those last two commands.

I would probably put them in a script named something like zout.sh and just use
Code:
!z
when I wanted to run them.
Name the script so that a one or two-character string will match uniquely.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Shadow_7

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819Reputation: 819
I was once in a gnome environment on ubuntu, and Cntrl+Shift+V would paste. But that's not "common" in my experience. And that was nearly a decade ago.