LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
louisb

Rep: Reputation: 15
Auto Mount not working (AutoFS)

I'm trying to auto mount an NFS share when the mount point on the workstation is accessed.

I've made the following entries in the "/etc/auto.master" file:

NAS-Disk /etc/auto.nfs --timeout=60

Followed by the following entries in the "/etc/autofs.nfs" file:

NAS-Disk -fstype=nfs4,rw,soft,intr cscd-nas-1:/volume1/Louis-Disk

I've checked and confirmed that the auto-mount services is running using the following command: "service autofs status". Active (running) was reported in green. The mount point on the local machine is "NAS-Disk". So when ever I reference mount point the NFS volume should get mounted is that correct?

Thanks

Old 06-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
michaelk

Rep: Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693Reputation: 2693
The mount point auto.master should be the base directory and use an absolute path i.e /mnt

autofs will create the subdirectory i.e /mnt/NAS-Disk for my example when the service starts and mount the nfs share when the directory is accessed. Make sure you can mount the nfs share manually.

The ArchWiki on autofs is a good reference.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autofs

Old 06-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
jmgibson1981

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Code:
+auto.master

/megalith /etc/auto.megalith --timeout=30
Code:
pool -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 megalith.mylan.home:/snapraid/pool
This is my configuration working flawlessly right now on Ubuntu 18.04. I can't recall where I found these settings, probably the Arch wiki. Should give a structure for you to work from. This gives my automount directory @ /megalith/pool.

Last edited by jmgibson1981; 06-13-2019 at 09:06 PM.