LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile
User Name
Password
Linux - Mobile This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Mobile Linux. This includes Android, Tizen, Firefox OS, Sailfish OS, Maemo, MeeGo, Ubuntu Mobile, WebOS, Open Mobile Alliance and other similar projects and products.
A reminder that LQ now has a dedicated Android sister site: AndroidQuestions.org

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #1
davelady
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2019
Posts: 15

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Best Linux Flavor for IoT


Hello:

We are spinning up a project that will deploy hundreds of small little linux boxes to run some scanning code we have. I have to build a light weight infrastructure to be able to update the code (python) from an FTP site as needed. Each little box will have a SIM card for connectivity once deployed.

We're at the very beginning so I can pick any linux flavor I want. I typically work in CentOS because our web servers use WHM.

So I would pick CentOS for no reason. Any insights that suggest one flavor would be better than another for managing field deployed python apps at a distance connected via SIM cards?
 
Old 10-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 19,139

Rep: Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978
It kind of depends on the hardware and what you mean by lightweight. If your using x86 based hardware then distribution in most cases does not matter. However, CentOS does support ARM hardware.
 
Old 10-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
davelady
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2019
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
It kind of depends on the hardware and what you mean by lightweight. If your using x86 based hardware then distribution in most cases does not matter. However, CentOS does support ARM hardware.
Thanks its x86 little intel atom processors.
 
Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
michaelk
Moderator
 
Registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 19,139

Rep: Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978Reputation: 2978
I assume a 64 bit Atom? desktop or command line only?

CentOS 7 does have support for 32 bit but it is maintained by a special group and not by the CentOS developers. CentOS 8 was just released but do not know when or if there will be a 32 bit version.
 
Old 10-15-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
davelady
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2019
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
I assume a 64 bit Atom? desktop or command line only?

CentOS 7 does have support for 32 bit but it is maintained by a special group and not by the CentOS developers. CentOS 8 was just released but do not know when or if there will be a 32 bit version.
Yes thank you 64 bit. I was looking at CentOS 7 (8 is to new)
 
Old 10-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
davelady
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2019
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
desktop or command line only?
Sorry missed this. I put gnome on out of shear laziness it just easier for some things, but primarily command line. When in the field they are user-less..
 
Old 10-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
rtmistler
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: MA, USA
Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian
Posts: 8,148
Blog Entries: 13

Rep: Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563Reputation: 3563
What is this like a mini, fanless desktop PC? Infinite power, memory, hard disk? By that I mean, greater than 1 GHz CPU, greater than 4 G RAM, greater than 10 G drive space, and A/C powered?

Put anything on it which you're comfortable with. Older ATOM's had a non-convenient graphics bridge chip (Poulsbo) which was a problem that Ubuntu kicked, but this is 10+ years ago, the more recent ones are better.

Stick with Cent if you get it to run, you appear to know how to configure and tune that one. Any questions you have about making it headless or auto-starting things, etc, please expand here or ask in the CentOS forum, or also Newbie and/or Software forums here on LQ.

Now if instead this is some SOM where the RAM, ROM, etc are limited and you're on a power budget, then please let us know. I'm not sure this is the case, because those ATOM's require a lot of power WRT situations where a battery might be used. They don't WRT A/C line current.
 
Old 10-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #8
Samsonite2010
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Distribution: Debian
Posts: 210
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelady View Post
Sorry missed this. I put gnome on out of shear laziness it just easier for some things, but primarily command line. When in the field they are user-less..
Gnome is light-weight?
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,484

Rep: Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522Reputation: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonite2010 View Post
Gnome is light-weight?
 
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
davelady
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2019
Posts: 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmistler View Post
What is this like a mini, fanless desktop PC? Infinite power, memory, hard disk? By that I mean, greater than 1 GHz CPU, greater than 4 G RAM, greater than 10 G drive space, and A/C powered?

Put anything on it which you're comfortable with. Older ATOM's had a non-convenient graphics bridge chip (Poulsbo) which was a problem that Ubuntu kicked, but this is 10+ years ago, the more recent ones are better.

Stick with Cent if you get it to run, you appear to know how to configure and tune that one. Any questions you have about making it headless or auto-starting things, etc, please expand here or ask in the CentOS forum, or also Newbie and/or Software forums here on LQ.

Now if instead this is some SOM where the RAM, ROM, etc are limited and you're on a power budget, then please let us know. I'm not sure this is the case, because those ATOM's require a lot of power WRT situations where a battery might be used. They don't WRT A/C line current.
They are little fanless 2ghz dual core atoms, 2 gb memory, 32 gb primary storage. I haven't found any reason not to use CentOS other than its currently not seeing the wifi network card just the hard port (but to your point that s a different forum question).

Thanks for the insights, just didn't want to blunder into the 'everyone knows not to do that' world..
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Making the IoT More Open: A Common Framework for IoT Edge Computing with EdgeX Foundry LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 10-09-2019 04:53 AM
LXer: IoT Past and Present: The History of IoT, and Where It's Headed Today LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-30-2016 12:22 AM
LXer: Is IoT Ready for Prime Time? New IoT-Focused Funding Suggests Yes LXer Syndicated Linux News 1 03-12-2016 08:49 PM
First Time in Linux World, Can you give the best Flavor of Linux that suit for me. crazycailer Linux - Newbie 18 07-15-2010 12:15 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Mobile

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration