LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #16
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessmc View Post
This is great stuff bassmadrigal! Thank you for posting this. I am definitely going to give this a shot.

I have been using AlienBob's mirror script to keep a local repository of -current for several months now. It is a very handy script and should be easily modified to keep a Slackware 14.2 repository current - though I am not sure this is warranted since slackpkg should adequately handle keeping my 14.2 install current and with much lower traffic.
The scripts won't see any traffic (other than checking the changelog) if there's no updates. It just makes sure that whenever I update via slackpkg, it's a really fast transfer rate (either because it's on the same computer or because it's locally on my LAN).

Quote:
That said I am having some doubts about slackpkg. For example just this morning I had issues upgrading my multilib packages. The following commands should do the trick but they didn't:

#slackpkg update
#slackpkg upgrade multilib
It's hard to know what happened without seeing the logs and your configuration settings. Maybe the mirror you used wasn't synced at the time or was having connection issues?

Quote:
Since you regularly upgrade your -current, I am curious how often do you upgrade your kernel. Are you currently running the 5.4.X ?
I'm actually not regularly updating a -current install. I have a machine running -current that hasn't been updated since May. It's my HTPC and is stable with its current package versions, so I don't mess with it (yes, I'm aware there are security issues with this not being updated regularly). The only reason it is running -current is because the hardware wouldn't work on 14.2 and I don't want to mess with the system and need to recompile kodi and its dependencies whenever an upgrade from -current requires it.

The reason I keep the -current mirror updated is mainly for updated sources. I'll frequently compile packages from -current on 14.2 and it is really easy to go into my mirrored directory and copy that source to my compile directory. I just found it was such a pain to write up the command to download that particular program's source folder each time I did it, so I set up this automated mirror so I never have to worry about grabbing things manually again. I have plenty of diskspace and I pay for an unmetered home internet connection (annoyed I even have to pay extra for unmetered, but that's another topic), so it was a no brainer to mirror these two versions of Slackware locally.

On my main 14.2 machine, I do upgrade the kernel occasionally (I've long been off the 4.4.x kernel, choosing newer ones as I recompile). The kernel I'm currently using on that machine is 5.3.12. I intend to upgrade to the latest 5.4.x within the next few weeks, but I hate rebooting my computer. I usually have a lot of programs and windows open and regularly have people connected to the machine from the internet (it also acts as a server that a few friends have access to), so rebooting ends up being quite the hassle.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:36 AM   #17
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105
Quote:
That said I am having some doubts about slackpkg. For example just this morning I had issues upgrading my multilib packages. The following commands should do the trick but they didn't:

#slackpkg update
#slackpkg upgrade multilib

Instead I had to download (lftp) a new multilib repository and manually install the packages. I am not sure what is going on here since /etc/slackpkg/slackpkgplus.conf looks to be configured correctly with a good MIRROR - i.e. MIRRORPLUS['multilib']=http://slackware.uk/people/alien/multilib/current/
If you did not have multilib installed yet when you ran "slackpkg upgrade multilib" then that would indeed have resulted in nothing at all. The 'upgrade' keyword applies only to packages you already have installed. What you would want to have done is run "slackpkg install multilib" instead which will download and install all the multilib packages for you.
It is advised to run "slackpkg install multilib" once in a while anyway because from time to time new packages get added to Slackware-current that may end up also as '-compat32' versions in multilib.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
wirelessmc

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 37
Thanks for posting Eric.

Yes I already had your multilib packges installed. I was at the -2 and was trying to upgrade to the (current) -4 version. Maybe slackpkg couldn't handle the version bump? Needless to say I was a bit confounded by this. In any event I just downloaded your multilib repository and manually installed as your doc page instructs.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Rep: Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105
Quote:
Thanks for posting Eric.

Yes I already had your multilib packges installed. I was at the -2 and was trying to upgrade to the (current) -4 version. Maybe slackpkg couldn't handle the version bump?
That is an absurd statement. The issue lies elsewhere.
Quote:
Needless to say I was a bit confounded by this. In any event I just downloaded your multilib repository and manually installed as your doc page instructs.
Could it be that you have gcc and/or glibc packages blacklisted in /etc/slackpkg/blacklist? If you use slackpkg+ you should not blacklist these, whereas if you are not using slackpkg+ then you must blacklist them.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #20
wirelessmc

Original Poster
Yes the issue lies with my 64 yr old brain unfortunately
*resolved* alien packages removed from blacklist. Thanks for reminding me to look at it.
------------snippet of my blacklist------------------------
kernel-generic
kernel-generic-smp
kernel-huge
kernel-huge-smp
kernel-modules
kernel-modules-smp
#kernel-source
[0-9]+_SBo
[0-9]+alien
# custom kde packages for kscreensaver (fixes kscience.kss)
kde-workspace
kdeartwork
#pulseaudio
nvidia-kernel

Old 02-12-2020, 09:46 AM   #21
wirelessmc

Original Poster
excessive session logout time in Slackware Current

Hey bassmadrigal - this post/reply is mainly for you regarding your crontab and update scripts you posted. Perhaps others will find some things in my post/reply useful.

I finally got this cron job thing working for automating a daily update of -current. I made some minor changes to your script. See below at this end of this post.
First just a couple of notes.

In your conf file the ISO option should be "NONE". You had "none" and when I initially tested the script it didn't know about the lower case option. Maybe you modified Eric's script to accept a case insensitive option?

For the update-mirrors.sh script you either need to set the execution bit (#chmod 750 update-mirrors.sh) or precede the call to it in your crontab with 'sh'. I set the execution bit in my case.

When I first created my crontab it didn't do anything. Worse yet there wasn't any log telling me why. For the benefit of others (which you are most likely aware of) the crontab file requires an 'empty' line following the call to the update-mirrors script (or the last line of crontab) otherwise it won't execute or tell you why!

After adding the empty line to the end of my crontab file the cron script at least tried to execute. I knew this from the below entry in /var/log/cron.

exit status 126 from user cahill /home/wget_slk/update-mirrors.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

Once I made the script executable it worked! Yay!

Thanks again for posting your scripts and the information for configuring them. Very useful stuff here.
My modified version of your update-mirrors.sh follows
==================================================================================================== ====
#!/bin/bash

# A modified version of bassmadrigal's (linuxquestions.org) update-mirrors.sh script
# to be called by crontab.

# One of the modifications was to keep a running log in update.log.old so I can look
# back for the history. The old history won't be clobbered from the previous runs.

# Thanks bassmadrigal.

MIRROR=${MIRROR:-"/home/wget_slk"}

#I elected for absolute paths here so no need to cd into the mirror.
#cd $MIRROR/

if [ ! -f $MIRROR/update.log ]; then
touch $MIRROR/update.log
fi

mv $MIRROR/update.log $MIRROR/update.log.tmp

# I modified Eric's script and renamed it with prefix 'my_' since it is tailored for my needs.
# Thank you Alien-Bob!

# This mirror script is only for slackware64-current at this time. Since this
# multi-boot machine spends the majority of it's uptime in -current, I will
# elect not to maintain a *64-14.2 mirror - at least not at this time ;-)
# Instead I will run slackpkg to keep 14.2 updated.

#echo -e "=========Slackware64-14.2=========\n" &> $MIRROR/update.log
#RELEASE=14.2 sh $MIRROR/my_mirror-slackware-current.sh &>> $MIRROR/update.log

echo -e "\n=========Slackware64-current=========\n" &>> $MIRROR/update.log
RELEASE=current sh $MIRROR/my_mirror-slackware64-current.sh &>> $MIRROR/update.log

if [ ! -f $MIRROR/update.log.old ]; then
cp $MIRROR/update.log $MIRROR/update.log.old
fi

cat $MIRROR/update.log.old >> $MIRROR/update.log.tmp
mv $MIRROR/update.log.tmp $MIRROR/update.log.old

#end of update-mirrors

Old 02-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #22
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
In your conf file the ISO option should be "NONE". You had "none" and when I initially tested the script it didn't know about the lower case option. Maybe you modified Eric's script to accept a case insensitive option?
Apologies for that. It must've been a transposing error. I had NONE in caps in my actual conf file on my computer. I think I was typing this up at work and comparing the conf file on my phone using JuiceSSH. Unfortunately, the time LQ allows to edit posts has lapsed, so hopefully people who use it will read the rest of the thread.

Quote:
For the update-mirrors.sh script you either need to set the execution bit (#chmod 750 update-mirrors.sh) or precede the call to it in your crontab with 'sh'. I set the execution bit in my case.
I did have mine executable. Guess I should've mentioned that.

Glad you got it working!