LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Enterprise Linux Forums > Linux - Enterprise
User Name
Password
Linux - Enterprise This forum is for all items relating to using Linux in the Enterprise.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
pranesh.annamalai
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
patch management solution - Ivanti patch management for Linux, Unix and Mac

I have been doing market research on patch management solution at an enterprise level with 3000 - 5000 servers with a mix of Red Hat Linux, Ubuntu, CentOs, Solaris etc. I came across this tool Ivanti for heterogeneous Linux, Unix and Mac patch management solution in an enterprise (https://www.ivanti.com/products/patc...linux-unix-mac). Has anyone know of this solution or similar solution in your enterprise? How does it work and does it work fine in an enterprise level? Kindly guide.

Last edited by pranesh.annamalai; 09-12-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranesh.annamalai View Post
I have been doing market research on patch management solution at an enterprise level with 3000 - 5000 servers with a mix of Red Hat Linux, Ubuntu, CentOs, Solaris etc. I came across this tool Ivanti for heterogeneous Linux, Unix and Mac patch management solution in an enterprise (https://www.ivanti.com/products/patc...linux-unix-mac). Has anyone know of this solution or similar solution in your enterprise? How does it work and does it work fine in an enterprise level? Kindly guide.
If you've got 5,000 servers, your company can certainly afford to contact the sales team there and get a 90 day demo, and judge this for yourself.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
pranesh.annamalai
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
If you've got 5,000 servers, your company can certainly afford to contact the sales team there and get a 90 day demo, and judge this for yourself.
Yes. Completely agreed with your perspective and we had not yet ruled out that option from our considerations. However, Wouldn't you like to explore the available options(different such products) from the market and know its pros and cons before we try a product in our environment even if it is a demo?.

Last edited by pranesh.annamalai; 09-15-2017 at 09:26 AM.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranesh.annamalai View Post
Yes. Completely agreed with your perspective and we had not yet ruled out that option from our considerations. However, Wouldn't you like to explore the available options(different such products) from the market and know its pros and cons before we try a product in our environment even if it is a demo?.
Your question is completely meaningless. If I want an overview of products, I go out and do research. I then read their websites and look at feature lists/documentation, and get a list of those I want to demo. I then go DO IT, and pick one. Asking others "What do you think about this?" is meaningless...what works for one person/company may be unusable or a poor fit for another.

The only way for you to get your job done is to GO DO IT.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #5
!!!

Distribution: Trying any&ALL on old/minimal

Rep: Reputation: 382Reputation: 382Reputation: 382Reputation: 382
Here's my 'lmgtfy' sample keywords: "Ivanti" user reviews reddit
(/r optional) And here's a random something: (p.9 here)
Quote:
Ivanti required the demo seeker to fill in a form and await assessment before demo access could be granted. Subsequently, a very friendly lady engaged this writer in a very, very long phone call. Much of this was to qualify the prospect – i.e. find out the scale and likelihood of a potential sale. She understood this was for a review that would be published, and repeatedly promised to provide access to a demo version.
Her first attempt, several days later, was just a repeat of the initial form. Eventually, the demo arrived, via an exception-management route. Apparently I had almost been disregarded by at least three functions in the main machinery, until a senior individual happened to recognise my name. Fortunate – but it had me wonder whether other potential customers might not be so lucky. Easily fixed.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
Flamini
LQ Newbie

Myself I'm starting to do research of using Ivanti for Linux patching. The admins running Windows servers at my company love it. My team is running 1000 Linux servers in addition to 8 kubernetes clusters and regular Docker hosts, and we're patching with a mix of Ansible/scripts/Spacewalk/Satellite, with Artifactory and Harbor for binary repos, and it can a big pain. On one had it is super sophisticated and reliable. But on the other hand it's too complex, maintenance is a chore, and I'm hoping Ivanti can do simply it for us.

However the real reason I'm posting here is that I have to say that I'm really bothered by the statements by both previous responders. Protected by anonymity, both were unprofessional in blasting a person who dared ask a question - on a website named Linux "questions". The irony.

The poster of the question is primarily looking for insight from people who have experience with the product and/or good knowledge of it.

Note: for my research I Googled "ivanti linux patching" and the number 5 result linked to this page. That's awesome. 1000's of people doing the research via Google get to see these responders shouting "do the research". Nice!