LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bedrock Linux
User Name
Password
Bedrock Linux This forum is for the discussion of Bedrock Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
jr_bob_dobbs

Distribution: Bedrock, Devuan, Slackware, Linux From Scratch, Void

Rep: Reputation: 188Reputation: 188
Bedrock web site blocked by an ISP?

Has anyone had any trouble getting to the bedrock website in the past month or so?

Reason I ask is interesting...

I can get to the web site as usual from my computer. My (android) phone claims the site does not exist.

I cannot see why one ISP would be able to load a given web site while another one is unable to. This one makes me wonder.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:40 PM   #2
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625
dns server on your phone isn't the same as your computer most likely.

I use web sites like is it up or down or such.

Once in a while you can use dig and find ip address and try it.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
!!!

Distribution: Trying any&ALL on old/minimal

Rep: Reputation: 382Reputation: 382Reputation: 382Reputation: 382
traceroute? Note this glitch: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...5/#post5522114

Long-shot wild-guess: the 'new' httpS stuff? (My OLD SymbianOS BrowserNG/7.2.6.2 says "Unable to create a secure connection to this server", so can't go here!)

Works for me. I noticed it hasn't been reviewed for / listed on DW (yet)

Personal p.s.: looks like MyHolyGrail of a Slackware that can install anyone's pkgs!!! Now if I could only find a .iso for Yumi usb multiboot, and/or a 32bit .vdi

Last edited by !!!; 08-27-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
ParadigmComplex
Bedrock Linux Founder

Distribution: Bedrock Linux

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_bob_dobbs View Post
Has anyone had any trouble getting to the bedrock website in the past month or so?

Reason I ask is interesting...

I can get to the web site as usual from my computer. My (android) phone claims the site does not exist.

I cannot see why one ISP would be able to load a given web site while another one is unable to. This one makes me wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!! View Post
Long-shot wild-guess: the 'new' httpS stuff?
I think this is it. I enabled HTTPS about a month ago - the timeline matches up.

Maybe your Android phone's browser cached the http:// part and is ignoring the redirect to https:// ? See if there's a way to clear the cache for whatever browser you're using. Or just manually input https:// with the 's' and see if that works for you. Or try another browser on your Android device; between the default, Chrome and Firefox and Mozilla's new Firefox spinoff there's a number of choices out there to test against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!
(My OLD SymbianOS BrowserNG/7.2.6.2 says "Unable to create a secure connection to this server", so can't go here!)
There's a trade off between securing the connection and allowing older software/devices to connect to it. This website:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal...drocklinux.org

Gives a very good break down. I can allow more protocols and cipher suites which would allow older browsers, but it would also allow attackers to leverage weaknesses in those options and potentially MITM people visiting the project's website (and do something nefarious such as change the links to the project's source code). I went with a relatively aggressive collection of settings; I figure better people be upset at me going overboard on security than the other way around. If someone makes an argument that I need to back it off a bit I'll consider it. I don't think that's the problem for jr_bob_dobbs's device, though, as per the ssllabs link the TLS settings should work with all currently supported Android devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!
I noticed it hasn't been reviewed for / listed on DW (yet)
I've spoke with the distrowatch folks. They'd be keen on giving it a look once I've made it easier to try out, as right now there's a fair bit of up-front cost to getting it up and running. I expect the next release will be adequate to get it on distrowatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!
Personal p.s.: looks like MyHolyGrail of a Slackware that can install anyone's pkgs!!! Now if I could only find a .iso for Yumi usb multiboot, and/or a 32bit .vdi
I've not tested Bedrock with Slackware in a while, but last time I did it worked absolutely fine. A Bedrock Linux install where you get most of your stuff from Slackware with the occasional package from some other distro should be fine.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625
Does look like they went https only.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142
I can hit the site both from my computer and from my T-Mobile HTC One m7 using Naked Browser and Firefox for Android.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
jr_bob_dobbs

Distribution: Bedrock, Devuan, Slackware, Linux From Scratch, Void

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 188Reputation: 188
@ParadignComplex: Ah ok, so for once I cannot blame google's censoring. Good to know. Thank you.

@!!!: my first successful Bedrock, which I ran for over six months with rock-steady stability, was based on a Slackware. I used it to run debian packages from a non-systemd system. Worked real well. You should have no trouble.

edit: well, you might have trouble if you need to use an initrd with Slackware: Slackware's initrd is hard-coded to mount the / partition read-only. Well, version 14.1 was. Unsure if that was changed in 14.2.

Last edited by jr_bob_dobbs; 08-30-2017 at 08:47 AM. Reason: pikachu is cute

Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
ParadigmComplex
Bedrock Linux Founder

Distribution: Bedrock Linux

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
For what it's worth, I'm hoping to remove the need for mounting as read-write in the next release.