LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
12tn2
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Unhappy Can't even test run nor install?

Hi everyone. I'm really new to Linux & in the process of distro-hopping. Now I'm having problems with OpenSUSE. I used Yumi to multiboot many distros, but for each OSuse iso I put into the USB, the same process (or not-process) happens.
Every time I boot from Yumi USB, the familiar screen appears to prompt me to choose between booting from HDD or use some Linux distros. I go for the latter, & OSuse along with other choices (say, Kubuntu and Solus) appear. If I choose Kubuntu, the laptop boots ok. Same with Solus. But whenever I opt for OSuse, nothing happens. To be absolutely fair, the Yumi cursor does make an animation indicating that I've pressed Enter on the OSuse button, but then that's it. It does not hang, I can still press up & down to choose the other distros at that screen.
I've downloaded about every possible Leap release out there. From the lite 100MB, to the 'snapshot' whatever file of about 800MB, to the full version of 4GB. I've tried sources from Linuxtracker to Piratebay, & of course the official site of OpenSUSE. They all behave the same at mentioned screen.
So my question is: Is the problem with Yumi? How did you all install OSuse with a USB? Can I just put the 4GB official Leap file into a blank USB & expect it to boot? If not, what are some sweet GUI alternatives to Yumi? Maybe I don't even need a multiboot USB, I just want to try out the chameleon... Wow, too many questions are on my mind right now.
My current laptop is having Kubuntu on a 120GB SSD with /, /home & swap partitions. I have another old Windows laptop with Yumi installed. Since I'm a noob, I'd like to ask for a full A-to-Z guide for any proposal of yours Thank you!

Old 05-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
colorpurple21859
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Slackware Debian, Fedora, others

Rep: Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589Reputation: 1589
Try using rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/ in windows. It doesn't multiboot, but it usually works.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
hydrurga
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint 21 MATE

Rep: Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925Reputation: 2925
Sometimes YUMI doesn't like it if a distro's files are not contiguous on the boot medium. You can rectify this with the WinContig utility (Windows software; http://wincontig.mdtzone.it/en/). Also, ensure that there are no spaces or other non-alphanumeric characters in the iso name. These are both long-shots as they mostly affect iso's added under the "Unlisted" category, but might be worth a go.

colorpurple21859's suggestion of Rufus is a good one. Also try the cross-platform Etcher (https://etcher.io/).

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #4
12tn2
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Thank you both, I'm 1st trying Rufus right now. In the mean time, can I ask about your personal favorite USB boot software?