LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > AIX
User Name
Password
AIX This forum is for the discussion of IBM AIX.
eserver and other IBM related questions are also on topic.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
prathapd
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to install and configure the Apache AIX 7.2 on IBM Power.

Hi ,

I am a new user in AIX .I would like to install apache latest version on AIX 6.1.However as Load balancer, but i am not able to get any proper document for the same online. if anyone have link or document to do the same in step by step manner.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prathap

Last edited by prathapd; 12-05-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
NevemTeve

Distribution: Debian/GNU/Linux, AIX

Rep: Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508Reputation: 1508
You mean, from source or from binary package?

Old 12-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
prathapd
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevemTeve View Post
You mean, from source or from binary package?

I am not sure which one is good. But i will be prefer from source..

Regards,
Prathap

Old 12-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathapd View Post
Hi ,
I am a new user in AIX .I would like to install apache latest version on AIX 6.1.However as Load balancer, but i am not able to get any proper document for the same online. if anyone have link or document to do the same in step by step manner.
Read the "Question Guidelines" link in my posting signature. Don't ask people to look things up for you and send you links, or write up step-by-step guides...you're using AIX, which is a commercial, PAY FOR version of Unix. Have you contacted IBM Support?? That would be a very good thing for you to do, since AIX 6.1 is only in extended support as of right now, and was end of life 3 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathapd
I am not sure which one is good. But i will be prefer from source..
If you'e the administrator, you should know. I can tell you that the current version of Apache won't be found in a binary package for AIX 6.1, since it was end of life three years ago, so you aren't going to have ANY current security or libraries needed for the latest version of Apache. And building it from source is going to be a VERY difficult thing to do, since again, you'd have to compile all the associated parts (PHP, SSL, etc., etc., etc.). And then, after all that work, IBM won't even support you if you pay them, since you've got a non-certified system.

Better question here is why you NEED the latest version of Apache, and what you actually mean by 'load balancer'. You'd be far better served by purchasing the latest version of AIX, and using the IBM supplied packages.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
prathapd
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
Read the "Question Guidelines" link in my posting signature. Don't ask people to look things up for you and send you links, or write up step-by-step guides...you're using AIX, which is a commercial, PAY FOR version of Unix. Have you contacted IBM Support?? That would be a very good thing for you to do, since AIX 6.1 is only in extended support as of right now, and was end of life 3 years ago.

If you'e the administrator, you should know. I can tell you that the current version of Apache won't be found in a binary package for AIX 6.1, since it was end of life three years ago, so you aren't going to have ANY current security or libraries needed for the latest version of Apache. And building it from source is going to be a VERY difficult thing to do, since again, you'd have to compile all the associated parts (PHP, SSL, etc., etc., etc.). And then, after all that work, IBM won't even support you if you pay them, since you've got a non-certified system.

Better question here is why you NEED the latest version of Apache, and what you actually mean by 'load balancer'. You'd be far better served by purchasing the latest version of AIX, and using the IBM supplied packages.

Hi,

I will read and follow the instructions as per Read the "Question Guidelines" .

Actually , I would like to install apache on 7.2 AIX and not on AIX 6.1.

Regards,
Prathap

Old 12-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627Reputation: 6627
Quote:
Hi,
I will read and follow the instructions as per Read the "Question Guidelines" .

Actually , I would like to install apache on 7.2 AIX and not on AIX 6.1.
So then why did you say 6.1 to start with??

And the instructions are the same; contact IBM support if you need help, as the latest supported Apache is already available with your AIX/IBM support contract. And you still haven't answered what it is you're actually trying to do, what you mean by load-balancer, and why you NEED the latest version of Apache. And have you attempted to look up any of the how-to guides, available on IBM's own website?
https://developer.ibm.com/technologi...e-subversions/

Old 12-08-2020, 04:47 AM   #7
prathapd
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
So then why did you say 6.1 to start with??

And the instructions are the same; contact IBM support if you need help, as the latest supported Apache is already available with your AIX/IBM support contract. And you still haven't answered what it is you're actually trying to do, what you mean by load-balancer, and why you NEED the latest version of Apache. And have you attempted to look up any of the how-to guides, available on IBM's own website?
https://developer.ibm.com/technologi...e-subversions/

Unfortunately , I mentioned 6.1 version, Sorry for this.

This is my requirement:

Would like to set up a two-node Apache web server cluster that provides high-availability. In front of the apache cluster we create a load balancer that splits up incoming requests between the two Apache nodes. Because we do not want the load balancer to become another "Single Point Of Failure", we must provide high-availability for the load balancer, too. Therefore our load balancer will in fact consist out of two load balancer nodes that monitor each other using heartbeat, and if one load balancer fails, the other takes over silently.

Regards,
Prathap

Old 12-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately , I mentioned 6.1 version, Sorry for this.

This is my requirement:
Would like to set up a two-node Apache web server cluster that provides high-availability. In front of the apache cluster we create a load balancer that splits up incoming requests between the two Apache nodes. Because we do not want the load balancer to become another "Single Point Of Failure", we must provide high-availability for the load balancer, too. Therefore our load balancer will in fact consist out of two load balancer nodes that monitor each other using heartbeat, and if one load balancer fails, the other takes over silently.
Ok, so *AGAIN*...why do you need the latest version of Apache, and have you contacted IBM for support, since you're paying for it with your AIX system??? What are you planning on using to 'create a load balancer'??