LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
josephj

Distribution: kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 99
Reigning in my Touchpad

I have posted about this on the KDE forum and on stackoverflow without a single comment or reply after more than six months. Hopefully, I'll have better luck here.

If this fits better in another LQ forum, let me know and I'll move it.

I use a touchpad on my notebook running kubuntu 18.04. I've been a KDE user for well over a decade.

I do all my GUI positioning with my right hand on my touch pad. The problem I have is that my small finger and the next finger are mostly numb from a pinched nerve or something. Because of this, they often touch the touchpad without me knowing it and cause unintentional two-finger scrolling (very much not fun).

Is there any way to tell KDE to only scroll if I'm also holding down some key like Ctrl? I don't want to disable touchpad scrolling entirely. I just want to have it only happen on purpose.

I need this badly enough that I'd even consider using another DTE or distro if it will do this and KDE won't.

Why:

I have a mouse and a trackball, but I never use them. I currently have my notebook on a small Table-Mate tray table where there's no room for a mouse pad, etc. Aside from the scrolling issue, this setup works great for me. I can get the notebook right over my lap with the legs of the tray table going under my chair and my long legs (36" inseam) can stick out as far as I want them to. This is the first comfortable setup I have figured out in years. (They make everything for short people!)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
ferrari

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648
Maybe edge scrolling would work better for you? That would allow you to use a single finger along the right or bottom edge of the touchpad to facilitate scrolling.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122Reputation: 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephj
(They make everything for short people!)
Amen to that! Everything for disabled seems to be aimed at midgets or Halflings! I've a 33" inside leg, and longer can't be bought in this country. You'd have to get a tailor to make them up.

Personally, I would look at adding something to the right of the touchpad. Alternatively look at pulling your hand or tray nearer/further or a rotation. Topuchpads are pretty DE independent, it's a mouse driver thingy. It doesn't have to pretty. I insist on a mouse, (Gave up on my touchpad) although it is pain to have a distance between mouse and keyboard. I would look at the option of bluetooth mouse/keyboard.You can put the thing a little distance away.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #4
ferrari

Distribution: openSUSE Leap

Rep: Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648Reputation: 648
Yes, that might be the pragmatic option here.

Tags
accessibility, configuration, kde, scrolling, touchpad