LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
garpu

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 91
Newbie slackware-current questions (pulseaudio stopping, and slackbuilds)

Hi, sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm new to slackware-current, and I'm likely overthinking things.

1.) On 14.2, I wasn't using pulse, and simply turned it off and let things default to ALSA. I know I can revert pulse, but just turning it off is a lot easier. Can I still do this with slackware current? For the record, it's remove asound.conf, then in /etc/pulse/, autospawn = no, allow-autospawn-for-root = no?

2.) I rely upon some slackbuilds (lilypond, audacity). I know slackbuilds.org isn't supporting current yet, but can I use those slackbuilds to build packages on current?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
kgha

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE

Rep: Reputation: 87
Can't help you with all your questions, but I had no problems building audacity (2.3.2) on -current with the SBo build script (mind the dependencies, though).
If you're into music/audio, you may want to check out AlienBob's packages in that field:
https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/exp...ic-production/

PS: Ponce (Matteo Bernardini) maintains a fork of slackbuilds with buildscripts for -current that can help if the official SBo scripts don't work: https://github.com/Ponce/slackbuilds

Last edited by kgha; 06-13-2019 at 01:43 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
garpu

Original Poster
Oh awesome, thanks! That's really helpful. And yeah! I'm looking forward to not having to compile supercollider myself, thanks to AlienBoB.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
garpu

Original Poster
I answered my own question on pulse:

remove or rename /etc/asound.conf
in /etc/pulse, turn autospawn = no and autospawn-for-root = no in client.conf

Be sure you have an .asoundrc, and if you do have one, back it up, because I didn't when my old computer died.
Don't forget to unmute and turn things on in alsamixer.

If I can impart one word of wisdom, be sure to back up any .*rc files you may need and your browser's bookmarks. You think you'll remember how to recreate them, but if it's a task you only do once every few years, it won't be there.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
ehartman

Rep: Reputation: 284Reputation: 284Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
I answered my own question on pulse:
In -current there is an "extra/pure-alsa-system" subdirectory, with packages, recompiled to NOT use PulseAudio.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
garpu

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman View Post
In -current there is an "extra/pure-alsa-system" subdirectory, with packages, recompiled to NOT use PulseAudio.
Yeah...but then I'd have to recompile things like VLC, and I'm a bit lazy.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
garpu

Original Poster
On second thought...is the version of Firefox that ships with current compiled to also allow ALSA? (Not sure if I screwed something up, or something is wrong with it.)

The long way may be better.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:52 PM   #8
GazL
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623Reputation: 2623
Yes, the firefox shipped with Slackware still uses alsa just fine. If you download the official Mozilla pre-built binaries it won't.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #9
garpu

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
Yes, the firefox shipped with Slackware still uses alsa just fine. If you download the official Mozilla pre-built binaries it won't.
And in trying to save myself some time taking a shortcut, I wasted a whole lot more. Sounds like I should've swapped to the pulse-free version.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #10
garpu

Original Poster
Nope, sorry. This is a lesson to all that you shouldn't do things tired. In my .asoundrc, I had "clt" for "ctl" in one line, and I totally missed it. Things appear to be copacetic with just turning off pulse