LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices

LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
zhjim

Distribution: Debian Squeeze x86_64

Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
One SoC two implementations. How does this work?

EHLO,

looking around the net for a device to use with openwrt I stumbled upon the armada 370 SoC. While searching the web for it I viewed the pdf with the specifications and there they have two example implementations. One for a nas and one for router/gateway. Now my question is how is this possible with just one SoC? Does one have to use different daugtherboards? Does the "mainboard" just need to be different?

As you can tell by now I don't have much of a clue on SoC and embeded design. I'm going to dig into the pdf in the sticky post and see what I can find. What I'm really trying to find out is if a NAS implementation of that named SoC can be tuned into a gateway implementation. Like buying a nas device with the SoC and then attaching some more ethernet ports...

Thanks for reading, regards and
BYE

Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
salasi

Distribution: SuSE, plus some hopping

Rep: Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhjim View Post
What I'm really trying to find out is if a NAS implementation of that named SoC can be tuned into a gateway implementation. Like buying a nas device with the SoC and then attaching some more ethernet ports...
Almost certainly not (and mostly for reasons that have little to do with the SoC itself). If a manufacturer manufactures a NAS, they manufacture a NAS and
  • complicating their development, testing, etc
  • increasing the price of their product
  • increasing their time to market
to allow it to do something else isn't high up their agenda. So, even if the SoC would allow it, practically you can't, or can't easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhjim View Post
Does one have to use different daugtherboards? Does the "mainboard" just need to be different?
Really, it is difficult to know what this question means; any distinction between what goes on the mainboard and the daughterboard, if one exists, is down to the NAS/Gateway manufacturer, and different manufacturers will probably choose to do this differently, so the SoC doesn't really directly determine this.

In addition, the peripherals for a gateway will be what the manufacturer determines will be necessary for that application, so you might struggle to find everything on board that you need for another application.

While it would be possible for a manufacturer to build a system that was able to take a number of different daughterboards and that could be configured to meet different application requirements (and make the daughterboards available), I don't know that anyone does things that way.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
zhjim

Distribution: Debian Squeeze x86_64

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 181Reputation: 181
Thanks for the input. Sadly the book from the sticky was more on toolchain and getting linux up on embedded device and not to much on the hardware side so I'm still in the dark here. Also for sure the manufacturer did not design or manufacture a device with tweaking/hacking attemps in mind I'm just curious if all stars align and the future is good one might be able to do so. Especially in this case as this particulare SoC is able to be used for both implementations. I just don't know if both implementations can go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salasi View Post
While it would be possible for a manufacturer to build a system that was able to take a number of different daughterboards and that could be configured to meet different application requirements (and make the daughterboards available), I don't know that anyone does things that way.
As I have one particular device in mind please have a look at this page. He took the device apart and is quite accurate with documentation so maybe you can make an educated guess on this.