LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
SimonDevine

Distribution: Slack 15.0 64 using Plasma 5.15 on Dell Inspiron 3847 8GB RAM with Dell 24inch monitor 1920x1080

Rep: Reputation: 108Reputation: 108
KDE 4.14, Cinnamon & MATE coexistence.

I am running with KDE 4.14 on Slack 14.2 64 and would like to know if there are any issues with having Cinnamon & MATE installed on the same system.

Will the additional features such as Desklets & Screenlets become available in KDE or are they restricted to the other 2 DE's?

Additionally, as I had to fully install Gnome so as to get Evolution running, are there any requirement or conflict issues?

I have Python 2.7 installed with KDE 4.14. Will the installation of Python 3 cause any software breakages or is this all taken care of in the .txz files?

Are there any removals/uninstalls that need to done before proceeding.

I am going to try the installs on my backup system on sdb6 rather than sda1 where my live system is.

Any hints or tips or 'beware of gotchas' to be aware of would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by SimonDevine; 11-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656Reputation: 6656
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonDevine View Post
I have Python 2.7 installed with KDE 4.14. Will the installation of Python 3 cause any software breakages or is this all taken care of in the .txz files?
Unfortunately, this is the only question I can answer, since I haven't tried any of the other DEs, but python3, as included in SBo (and now in -current) coexists with python2 without issue. Any packages that were built with python2 will continue to work. Keep in mind, on SBo, many packages support both python2 and python3, however, you may need to pass a PYTHON3=yes flag to build it. Make sure you're reading the READMEs to see how to build it.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Skaendo

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I haven't noticed any "conflicts" when running Cinnamon with KDE on the same install, although I haven't ran them together for quite some time now. I have built up a complete desktop around Cinnamon and don't install any of the other DE's anymore.

The only thing you might really notice is that your menus will become out of control cluttered with entries from the other DE's.

I don't think that the "desklets", "screenlets", etc will ever be compatible with KDE since they are designed for Cinnamon (Gnome).

Python3 is comfortable along side of Python2. There is a compile time difference, BUT sometimes (I believe) Python3 will overwrite some Python2 files so there is the possibility of breakage, although I have never seen any.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
willysr

Distribution: Slackware-Current

Rep: Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784Reputation: 1784
Quote:
I am running with KDE 4.14 on Slack 14.2 64 and would like to know if there are any issues with having Cinnamon & MATE installed on the same system.

Will the additional features such as Desklets & Screenlets become available in KDE or are they restricted to the other 2 DE's?

Are there any removals/uninstalls that need to done before proceeding.

I am going to try the installs on my backup system on sdb6 rather than sda1 where my live system is.

Any hints or tips or 'beware of gotchas' to be aware of would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all for your help.
They can co-exist together (MATE and Cinnamon). I used it on my main desktop at home. Please note that Cinnamon and MATE have some common deps, so you may need to edit the build script to avoid double build (just a difference in the TAG).

Those packages are designed not to replace anything from Slackware's main packages. Just make sure to pull the latest one from github and use the appropriate branch for your system (14.2). If you are using current, then please use master branch.

Desklets question has been answered by Skaendo

Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #5
SimonDevine

Distribution: Slack 15.0 64 using Plasma 5.15 on Dell Inspiron 3847 8GB RAM with Dell 24inch monitor 1920x1080

Original Poster
Installed MATE, tried it for a couple of hours and decided that I just don't like it so it's now "RemovePkg'ed".

It did mess up my Root Desktop a bit in that I remove the .desktop extension for my KDE Icons & they all became invalid. Uninstall & Restart obviated this one.

I'll try Cinnamon tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
SimonDevine

Original Poster

Installed Cinnamon alongside KDE & it ended up with not being even able to log in as Root. Just was given a 'Permission Denied' response.

Restoring from a Backup hardly helped. Ended up running a basic boot from DVD to point it at my sda1.

I think Cinnamon is a Definitely Not for me.

Still having problems as logging out of my KDE gives a black screen with a message saying 'Not supported'.

Grumble...

Last edited by SimonDevine; 11-19-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Skaendo

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:

Installed Cinnamon alongside KDE & it ended up with not being even able to log in as Root. Just was given a 'Permission Denied' response.
I believe that that is a setting, although I don't remember where it was off hand. I changed that in my compile scripts to allow logging in as root.

I know it's probably moot at this point, but if you would consider installing Cinnamon from a ISO (in a VM maybe?), I have one uploaded to MEGA that I can let you test run. It's nothing "official", but it is a complete Cinnamon DE on a Slackware64 base with all the bells and whistles. Very close to Linux Mint. NOTE that there is no other DE's/WM's in my ISO.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
SimonDevine

Original Poster
Have now got it back to how it was before The Cinnamon Faff.

Ran LILO so I could get my Boot Menu working properly again. Should have done this hours ago really.

Oh well, another intellectual stretch with Linux. I do feel for those less endowed with knowledge & experience. They wouldn't stand a chance!

Whelks & Supernovas? :-)

Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
SimonDevine

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
... if you would consider installing Cinnamon from a ISO (in a VM maybe?), I have one uploaded to MEGA that I can let you test run. It's nothing "official", but it is a complete Cinnamon DE on a Slackware64 base with all the bells and whistles. Very close to Linux Mint. NOTE that there is no other DE's/WM's in my ISO.
Thanks for your message.I think I'll wait a little before having another go at Cinnamon.

I'm in my mid-fifties so haring down the Bleeding Edge Highway is something consigned to my younger days now. Also, I was never a C developer. I had a reference book in '93 but I never wrote any code in C. Lowest I got was a bit of Z80 Assembly Code in '81. I do remember IM2 from those days & the Sinclair machines. 48K on the Spectrum was a huge RAM pool back then!

I still like to exercise my brain though, so I'll check back here every day as I have been dong for months.

This Forum Resource is great for all.

Last edited by SimonDevine; 11-19-2017 at 05:51 PM.