LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware & Android

Rep: Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886Reputation: 886
Accessing Sci-hub: Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perry Barlow
The Internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it
For those not familiar with it, sci-hub is the Pirate Bay of scientific papers. Some need this resource. In the spirit of the above quote, I want to mention my route around the problem. I was currently experiencing dns issues, my dns servers did't like IP addressing, and I also got SSL cert issues.
I once grokked a unix system from 1974, before dns and in the days of 300/300 baud (=bits per second) modems. /etc/hosts was 200k, and held the entire internet!
Today, in /etc/host.conf we have
Code:
order hosts, bind
multi on
Line 1 means: first check /etc/hosts; THEN use dns. So I added this line to /etc/hosts
Code:
80.82.77.83		scihub
which sets up an alias for 80.82.77.83. Then type 'http://scihub' into firefox or chrome; they will check /etc/hosts first, before dns

Just for completeness, I tried it in Tor browser, and firefox with a (paywalled) doi from nature magazine. The .onion scihub site gave me page 1 only; firefox gave me the full thing. It seems like a solution available to linux (but not windows) users until something else goes wrong.

EDIT: Apparently they're being refused dns outgoing services, or have that partiucular IP blocked. I'm sure it won't take them long to route sround that . Also, just in passing I note 672 views but nop replies; is that a record?

Last edited by business_kid; 12-08-2017 at 01:48 PM.