LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware > Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer
User Name
Password
Linux - Embedded & Single-board computer This forum is for the discussion of Linux on both embedded devices and single-board computers (such as the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBoard and PandaBoard). Discussions involving Arduino, plug computers and other micro-controller like devices are also welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Rep: Reputation: 0
multiple linux panels reboot at the same time (maybe from network traffic)

Hi this is an interesting and challenging question.

We build customized linux boards, using kernel 2.6.39.4.
The boards boots up to linux prompt, not running apps.
Developers have 1 or 2 boards each, doing their own tasks.

The Atmel ARM board has one 10/100 ethernet port, one GIGE port.
We don't find correlations between which interface is used with the reboot issue.

Once a while, we found multiple boards reboot at the same time, (not all of them).

We suspect it's the network traffic caused reboot, as they reboots at the same time.

But when linux reboots, it doesn't display any useful message. It's just like you reset the power, and all you see is the uboot prompt again.

We did use expensive power supply to make sure this is not power glitch, but no difference.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by 5883; 05-09-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
theNbomr
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: OpenSuse, Fedora, Redhat, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908Reputation: 908
Whenever multiple hosts spontaneously reboot or crash at the same time, I would look very closely at the power source. Sure you've got a good power supply, but where does the power supply get it's energy? How clean and reliable is that? There's always the classic cases like the janitor comes in every evening and trips off devices by plugging in a big vacuum cleaner, or unplugs something briefly.
The network may also be a source of problems, but I doubt it would be from actual traffic, except perhaps broadcast storms. I would look at something more electrical in nature, such as surges/noise spikes induced onto the cables from some heavy industrial equipment, RF systems, etc.
--- rod.