LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
Thandren
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Help needed to install Linux version of the bittube wallet please

I use Linux but I am no expert.

I am trying to install the bittube wallet on Linux from
https://github.com/ipbc-dev/bittube-wallet-gui/releases

I did on fresh Ubuntu install
1) downloaded zip and unzipped two files
2) from terminal tried to run the gui wallet file with ./
3) Got error could not find shared file so then managed to download it with apt get
4) Tried to run again and got other shared file that I could not find with apt get
5) Not been able to find instructions or help from bittube as all on telegram and I am not.

Could someone here please try and then help. I would install any free Linux distribution to get it to work.

Last edited by Thandren; 09-15-2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 09-15-2018, 03:52 AM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thandren View Post
3) Got error could not find shared file so then managed to download it with apt get
4) Tried to run again and got other shared file that I could not find with apt get
this doesn't make any sense to me.
please clarify, be precise, show us all the commands & output.

always tell us which distro you use.

read the readme:
https://github.com/ipbc-dev/bittube-wallet-gui
and tell us how the instructions therein failed.

you are aware that what you are trying to use is just a gui frontend for the actual bittube implementation?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #3
Thandren
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Ok thanks,

The readme is for compiling from source, although I could get the dependencies it mentions.
I will try and get those dependencies and if still fails will also try compile from source as per instructions.

And will let you know.

I was using ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso

Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 AM   #4
Thandren
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I was unable to get the dependencies using the readme instructions. I am using ubuntu 18.04.01. The bittube-wallet-gui should be a crypto wallet for TUBE currency. The bittubed should be the thing that syncs the blockchain. On the windows version you need only to double click the bittube-wallet-gui, but running that on linux seems not to work for me.

Please see following what I tried in terminal after unzipping the two files in the release for Linux:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

j@ubuntu:~/Desktop/bt$ ls
bittubed bittube-wallet-gui
j@ubuntu:~/Desktop/bt$ sudo apt install build-essential cmake libboost-all-dev miniupnpc libunbound-dev graphviz doxygen libunwind8-dev pkg-config libssl-dev libzmq3-dev
[sudo] password for j:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
j@ubuntu:~/Desktop/bt$ sudo su root
root@ubuntu:/home/j/Desktop/bt# sudo apt install build-essential cmake libboost-all-dev miniupnpc libunbound-dev graphviz doxygen libunwind8-dev pkg-config libssl-dev libzmq3-dev
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
root@ubuntu:/home/j/Desktop/bt#
root@ubuntu:/home/j/Desktop/bt# ./bittube-wallet-gui
./bittube-wallet-gui: error while loading shared libraries: libunbound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Old 09-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335Reputation: 2335
Code:
you neeed to fix this first.
it has nothing to do with bittube.
is another process trying to update system? do you have a gui software manager open atm? something else?
if you are 100% sure that the answer is NO to all questions, you can manually delete the file, and try again.

but even then, you still don't have all the required dependencies:
Code:
error while loading shared libraries: libunbound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #6
Thandren
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I installed fresh using vmware. Downloaded zip unzipped to new folder on the desktop.

Perhaps due to Firefox still running or perhaps due to using vmware to host Linux. Perhaps I need to restart Linux first.

I will retry.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Thandren
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I could after restart solve lock issue.
Many other issues on trying to run and trying to compile source there was many errors.

I think I will have to go back to running the wallet in Windows unless I get some step by step instructions that work. Shame as I wanted my wallets working in Linux for extra security, but the installation is too hard for my level of Linux knowledge.