LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
cesaar
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
User login keyring password changing itself after reboot every now and then

Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a laptop and for the second time, my user password has changed. This last time, also my keyring password changed itself.

I know because I right-clicked on the pasword prompt and set it to show the password to see that it was correctly typed. Also, after logging in this last time, the keyring password was also compromised.

My '/' directory is at 48%.

My password settings with
Code:
chage
are set to never expire.

I believe it might have to do with a forced shutdown because after multiple consecutive sleep cycles, it fails to go to sleep and it ends up draining the battery.

How can I detect why the passwords keep changing, and how can I prevent it in the future?

Last edited by cesaar; 08-13-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
permaroot

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaar View Post
Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 19.04 on a laptop and for the second time, my user password has changed. This last time, also my keyring password changed itself.

I know because I right-clicked on the pasword prompt and set it to show the password to see that it was correctly typed. Also, after logging in this last time, the keyring password was also compromised.

My '/' directory is at 48%.

My password settings with
Code:
chage
are set to never expire.

I believe it might have to do with a forced shutdown because after multiple consecutive sleep cycles, it fails to go to sleep and it ends up draining the battery.

How can I detect why the passwords keep changing, and how can I prevent it in the future?
Do you not have a root account? Or is the root password changing as well? Have you checked logs?