LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
nicedreams

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15

I've tried all of these, but still doesn't work. I either get errors or still returning 0. Here is exactly what I want to do.

I wrote a small pushover.sh script to send a message to my phone. Right now I still have to use 2 commands for success or failure

rsync -avh /home /mnt/home && pushover.sh "rsync successful" "completed" --options || pushover.sh "rsync failed" "not completed" --options

Wanted to try to make this easier and detect what happened and change message based on that.

rsync -avh /home /mnt/home ; pushover.sh "rsync "message" --options

I have if statements do detect if previous command was successful then it would add messages like [SUCCESS] and [FAILED] to the title for me. But I keep getting a return of 0 since I'm not running rsync from within the script itself. Of course I could add this rsync command to the script, but then it's not as flexible if I want to use for other commands.

In a perfect world I would want it to work like 'grep' and |pipe| the error output to it of previous command and it can do what it does.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
DGPickett
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You should be able to preserve return code in the child script without hurting other users, or make your own child script, or call rsync in your script, or find another way to verify success.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:36 AM   #18
josephj

Distribution: kubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 95
In your main script:

Code:
rsync rsync-parameters
rc=$?
pushover "$rc"
and, inside pushover:

Code:
if (( $1 ))