LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2020, 05:19 AM   #31
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscho View Post
Yes gamers have much better games on Windows. However they can experience the games on Linux and have Windows games as well they just dual boot.
I've tried dual booting. What happens is you get sick of chainging back to Linux every time you want to browse the web and use email etc. after gaming on Windows and you end up just staying in Windows and putting up with it because, now, you have some games you really like but can't play on Linux or can't play with certain features (I'm thinking RTX here, but there are other things which don't work on Linux too).
I do actually have a Steam library I use on Linux because I won't dual-boot for the reasons above. Things mostly work (apart from Fallout 3 and something else I can't recall) but Rocket League is going from Linux and as mentioned above there's no RTX for Shadow Of The Tomb Raider or Minecraft, come to that. The colleagues mentioned in my previous post think I'm made for not installing Windows and taking advantage of RTX, being able to play [the new] Doom etc. and have asked me why I don't dual-boot but I think they understand the reason.
If anyone has had a different experience dual-booting to me I'd like to know about it also.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #32
phantom_cyph

Distribution: Slackware & Derivatives

Rep: Reputation: 128Reputation: 128
I technically dual boot..

Difference is I shrink the Windows partition down till there's about 5gb left and leave it. Windows remains installed for the office needs which require it (rare) and the occasional work on someone's apple or blackberry device (also rare).

I sort of keep it around as a massively bloated tool to be left dormant till absolutely required. Then it's a prompt reboot into a real OS so I can work..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #33
bscho

Distribution: Mint 20, Kali, Peppermint, Ubuntu, MakuluFlash, Fedora 32, Windows 12 Lite, MakuluLinux

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_cyph View Post

Difference is I shrink the Windows partition down till there's about 5gb left and leave it. Windows remains installed for the office needs which require it (rare) and the occasional work on someone's apple or blackberry device (also rare).

I sort of keep it around as a massively bloated tool to be left dormant till absolutely required. Then it's a prompt reboot into a real OS so I can work..
Why use office on Windows when you Have Libreoffice on Linux?

If you want Office then why not use the PlayonLinux Office 10 to 16?

Old 01-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #34
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom_cyph View Post

I have a VM for that and, before it died, had a dual-boot laptop.

I could very easily dual-boot my desktop but, given what I type above, why would I (the question is not a reply to you, phantom_cyph)?