LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #1
tapish
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: bangalore
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 4

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Network Firewall Application


Hello,
I am thinking to develop a network firewall application. To be specific neither I want to develop a tool (similar to iptables) which uses command line nor a web application. I want to develop a simplified GUI firewall application which can have same features as iptables.
Can anybody help me out with any document or with what approach should I start my work.
 
Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
jsbjsb001
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Earth? I would say I hope so but I'm not so sure about that... I could just be a figment of your imagination too.
Distribution: CentOS at the time of this writing, but some others over the years too...
Posts: 1,971

Rep: Reputation: 894Reputation: 894Reputation: 894Reputation: 894Reputation: 894Reputation: 894Reputation: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapish View Post
Hello,
I am thinking to develop a network firewall application. To be specific neither I want to develop a tool (similar to iptables) which uses command line nor a web application. I want to develop a simplified GUI firewall application which can have same features as iptables.
Can anybody help me out with any document or with what approach should I start my work.
The purpose of this site is to help when you encounter a problem and you've tried at least a few solutions to solve the problem. It isn't really to guide you on "building software" or even a Linux distribution. A simple web search should give you some ideas on where to start. I would suggest you start there, and if you have any issues with the app you want to build, post a clear problem description in the Programming Forum.

Also, you say what you want to do, but you have not by the looks of it, made any effort towards doing it. People here expect that you have made at least some effort on you're own before posting a question here.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
tapish
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: bangalore
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbjsb001 View Post
The purpose of this site is to help when you encounter a problem and you've tried at least a few solutions to solve the problem. It isn't really to guide you on "building software" or even a Linux distribution. A simple web search should give you some ideas on where to start. I would suggest you start there, and if you have any issues with the app you want to build, post a clear problem description in the Programming Forum.

Also, you say what you want to do, but you have not by the looks of it, made any effort towards doing it. People here expect that you have made at least some effort on you're own before posting a question here.
Thanks for the motivation.
 
Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,130
Blog Entries: 5

Rep: Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186Reputation: 1186
There was an iptables GUI front end called "firestarter" (it's long dead), you might want to download the source tarball and have a look.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
tapish
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: bangalore
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
There was an iptables GUI front end called "firestarter" (it's long dead), you might want to download the source tarball and have a look.
Thank you so much. Firestarter is quite helpful for me.
 
Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
jefro
Moderator
 
Registered: Mar 2008
Posts: 18,550

Rep: Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778Reputation: 2778
I'd study the replacement for iptables as well as free and commercial offerings for firewall. The term firewall may mean different things to folks. Might as well peek at FWBuilder too.
 
Old 07-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #7
tapish
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2018
Location: bangalore
Distribution: ubuntu
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
I'd study the replacement for iptables as well as free and commercial offerings for firewall. The term firewall may mean different things to folks. Might as well peek at FWBuilder too.
Yes you are right, FwBuilder is a unique graphical firewall tool that allow user to create their own firewall. But I am building (code and GUI) my own firewall. Now I have two options weather to use python script (by using iptables) or to build different modules with the help of netfilter framework and I am working on it.

Last edited by tapish; 07-17-2018 at 04:29 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to check firewall log, a network application fails if client and server are on amolgupta Linux - Networking 1 01-28-2010 02:37 AM
how do i block an application from accessing network? firewall? hisnumber666isback Linux - Software 1 05-06-2006 10:45 PM
Firewall Application quetz Linux - Networking 3 09-28-2005 02:19 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration