LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
imohammed
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Authentication to AD and LDAP on the server

Hello,
I have been using Linux on and off for many years. I am not an expert but I manage. For my recent project I am research ways to setup authentication on a RedHat enterprise server. The complicating factor is that authentication is for two group of users (internal and external). By internal I mean people who are employee of the company where as external users are not employee and not in Active Directory. I have setup a Linux server where two group of users collaborate with each other by sharing files. Currently both users are authenticating to local machine. They are using SSH to connect to the server. Is it possible to configure LDAP on the server to use PAM to authenticate internal users to AD while external users to MySQL? I don't mind if external users have to use usernaame as user1@external.com, however internal users should use username assigned to them by the AD.

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction or if I failed to explain clearly please let me know.

Thanks,
fanzi

Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
Generally yes, you can use openldap to join multiple ldap databases (including AD), local or remote into a single tree. I presume you mean MYSQL in the context of an OpenLDAP backend, and therefore this is all server side configuration you're looking for?

the Meta backend is useful for proxying AD http://www.openldap.org/software/man...se&format=html

Last edited by acid_kewpie; 11-23-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
imohammed
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question

Hello Chris,
I want to have MYSQL for LDAP to maintain external users and somehow configure LDAP to authenticate to AD for internal users. If it's possible how do I do this?

fanzi.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
acid_kewpie

Distribution: Gentoo, RHEL, Fedora, Centos

Rep: Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985Reputation: 1985
yeah, that's just repeating the question, as above chekc the meta backend.