LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Zorin OS
User Name
Password
Zorin OS This forum is for the discussion of Zorin OS Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
Sib1942
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Question Zorin 12

Not sure if this is a good place to discuss this OS or not, but I'm completely frustrated and don't know where to turn! Tried to join a Zorin forum online, got all the way through except for the part where they're supposed to send me an email to authenticate my registration -- never happened, though I asked time and time again to have the email resent. Anyway, I have a ton of questions, and being completely unfamiliar with linux, I thought I'd try here. For example, I can't past the screen that says "Enter password for keying 'Default keying to u..... An application wants access to the keyhing 'Default keying, but it is locked', and it asks me for a password. I have NO idea what the password for this thing is! "Automatically unlock this keying whenever I'm logged in" is checked. I'm stuck! Help?

Old 08-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
camorri
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware 15.0, current, slackware-arm-currnet

Rep: Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848
Can't help much with the other forum.

As far as the Keyring problem, open a terminal and go to the directory with the command:

Quote:
cd ~/.local/share/keyrings/
You should have a few files there. There may be a file called 'login.keyring'. There should also be a 'Default_keyring.keyring'.

You can try deleting the Default file, and the login file. The keyring function gets called by an application for storing passwords.

I got fed up with the Gnome keyring and disabled it completely. You can google for a how to if that is what you want. The files you delete will get re-created. Normally you would create a password you know, and once done, the automatic function should work.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Sib1942
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Zorin 12

When I entered the command you showed, I got quote No such file or director unquote. What would happen if I completely deleted the whole keyring thing? Can I do that? Please remember, I am a COMPLETE NOVICE! As Sgt Shultz used to say on Hogan's Heroes, "I see nothing, I hear nothing, I KNOW NOTHING!"

Old 08-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
camorri
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware 15.0, current, slackware-arm-currnet

Rep: Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848Reputation: 848
See this link, it show you how to disable the keyring. It is not necessary to delete it.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/3045...e-keyring#3048

I don't use Zorin, I don't know if you are forced to use sudo as the link suggests, or if you can su to root, and run the command.

The command I showed in post 2 assumes you opened a command prompt in your home directory, the "~" character is a short form of /home/yourusername/. Note also the . ( period ) before local. That . makes local a hidden directory. You need to enter that command from your home directory, and don't leave out the period. You can use cd ( change directory ) one step at a time, or the full path as I showed.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Orba
LQ Newbie

Distribution: more than three

Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib1942 View Post
Not sure if this is a good place to discuss this OS or not, but I'm completely frustrated and don't know where to turn! Tried to join a Zorin forum online, got all the way through except for the part where they're supposed to send me an email to authenticate my registration -- never happened, though I asked time and time again to have the email resent. Anyway, I have a ton of questions, and being completely unfamiliar with linux, I thought I'd try here. For example, I can't past the screen that says "Enter password for keying 'Default keying to u..... An application wants access to the keyhing 'Default keying, but it is locked', and it asks me for a password. I have NO idea what the password for this thing is! "Automatically unlock this keying whenever I'm logged in" is checked. I'm stuck! Help?
I can only suggest downloading and installing recent version 12.2 release. This didn't happen during my install, so maybe this was a fixed problem.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #6
BuckSkin
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sib1942 View Post

You are not alone in this.
Seeking answers to my thousands of Zorin questions, I, too, registered at that site.
I can understand your frustration as it was the toughest, most time consuming registration I have ever had to deal with; once I finally got to the point of waiting for the e-mail confirmation message, it never came.
I have searched that site over for some sort of "contact us", so that I could let them know of my difficulties; but, if there is any means of contacting them, they sure keep it hidden.

I Google-searched "never received confirmation e-mail from Zorin forums" and your message right here was at the top of the list.

Thus is how I found this site and became a member in less than three minutes.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Vipre0999
LQ Newbie

Check your spam folder.

When I registered, I couldn't find the email either.

However, I checked my spam folder and found the 2 emails there to activate the account.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Cassi
LQ Newbie

Distribution: MX Linux

Rep: Reputation: 1
I just recently installed Zorin 12.2 on my laptop....while it has had to send 2 internal error reports....I have not had too many issues. As for the password....you should have been prompted to create one on the install. That is a Linux thing from what I have experienced and not just a Zorin catch. So you should know what it is.

As for the Zorin "Official" Forums and their registration...I also ended up here cause I did not receive my email activation.....there is the possibility that they actually 'hand' or 'human' check the registration requests and then manually or by human command send out the activation emails. I know it sounds silly but I had one forum send me my activation email like a month or so after I had tried to register (NOT Zorin btw)....I had forgotten about the forum and moved on, just like moving on from Zorin Forums to here!

But before here, I asked openly on some of my Social Media sites for help and advice and got great assistance! But, I wanted a forum too, so that I could search and read and try to figure things out while I might be waiting for a reply for a poised question on my Social Media!