LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, and illumos.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here. Any Solaris fork or distribution is welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
KenJackson

Distribution: Fedora and others

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Install OpenIndiana: can't login, "^[[210z" keeps displaying

I want to try OpenIndiana so I installed it in a KVM/QEMU virtual machine using OI-hipster-minimal-20181023.iso.

I ran through the text install questions without any problem, but when I reboot, the text "^[[210z" is being written to the login screen about every one to two seconds. Also my login attempts always fail. I reinstalled it to make real sure I entered the right password.

That text looks like an ANSI escape sequence, but I wonder if it's getting entered in with my username and password. I can't type fast enough to avoid it.

I can't proceed further if I can't log in. Does anyone know how I can get logged in and how to stop the 210z's?

Old 02-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #2
jlliagre

Distribution: Solaris 11.4, Oracle Linux, Mint, Debian/WSL

Rep: Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492
It seems the "^[[210z" escape sequence is generated by the Scroll lock key.

If your keyboard has this key present, you might try to depress it a couple of time and see if it stops the issue.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:26 AM   #3
KenJackson

Distribution: Fedora and others

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre View Post
It seems the "^[[210z" escape sequence is generated by the Scroll lock key.
Hmmm. When I press scroll lock, it does indeed display that sequence on the login screen. But in the mean time, just to try something different, I switched the driver and reinstalled and now I can get logged in.

I originally installed the VM with the QXL driver so I could use the spice protocol, which I prefer. I've never had any such problem with it, so I'm skeptical that it was the problem. But now that I've switched to VGA and VNC, there's no escape sequences and I can log in.

The same keyboard was input to the host and to several other virtual machines. None of the others ever noticed a scroll lock input. Baffling.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
jlliagre

Distribution: Solaris 11.4, Oracle Linux, Mint, Debian/WSL

Rep: Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492Reputation: 492
I'm using VirtualBox as virtualization layer so have no experience with Solaris on top of KVM.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!