LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #1
figleaf08
LQ Newbie

Distribution: CentOS 8, Xubuntu 18.04

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Package Tracker

Hello all,

I was wondering if there is any open-source software out there that I could use to track packages/parcels that are delivered from our warehouse to our other branches. We would like something that can show us where packages are being lost or if they are arriving. It can be a package/plugin to be installed on wordpress or maybe something else.

Crossing my fingers hoping there is something like that.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
JeremyBoden

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 371Reputation: 371Reputation: 371Reputation: 371
Why not just use a carrier that tracks parcels?

The effort in scanning barcodes etc plus managing the most efficient routing can be considerable.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:07 AM   #3
Corry22
LQ Newbie

You can not found something like that, you need to find something else. liteblue

Last edited by Corry22; 03-28-2020 at 02:30 AM.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
teckk

Distribution: FreeBSD Arch

Rep: Reputation: 683Reputation: 683Reputation: 683Reputation: 683Reputation: 683Reputation: 683
https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrac...code=us&link=1

https://www.ups.com/track

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
figleaf08
LQ Newbie

Distribution: CentOS 8, Xubuntu 18.04

Original Poster
@JeremyBoden

Well I had thought about that but I don't want to track packages sent by UPS, FedEx or any of those parcel carriers.

I wanted something to use internally at the company. A package tracking software running on the company's server. Something to track packages within the company's item transfers. Not sure if you get me. hehe

Sorry I don't know how to explain it exactly.

Last edited by figleaf08; 03-27-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117
Quote:
Originally Posted by figleaf08 View Post
@JeremyBoden
Well I had thought about that but I don't want to track packages sent by UPS, FedEx or any of those parcel carriers.

I wanted something to use internally at the company. A package tracking software running on the company's server. Something to track packages within the company's item transfers. Not sure if you get me. hehe Sorry I don't know how to explain it exactly.
You explained it fine, but unless your ENTIRE COMPANY has their own trucks, warehouses, and deliver personnel, you'll have to get ALL of that in place first. Along with the scanning infrastructure needed to get packages in/out of the supply chain. After you have all those things, and define all the steps and procedures needed to accomplish all those tasks, you can THEN begin to write your own custom software that monitors everything.

No one, anywhere, uses anything like this 'off the shelf'. There is nothing like this pre-written, because EVERYTHING is custom written to fit the needs/wants of who is using it. What works for UPS would be a total failure for FedEx, even though they both do the exact same things.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825Reputation: 3825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
You explained it fine, but unless your ENTIRE COMPANY has their own trucks, warehouses, and deliver personnel, you'll have to get ALL of that in place first. Along with the scanning infrastructure needed to get packages in/out of the supply chain. After you have all those things, and define all the steps and procedures needed to accomplish all those tasks, you can THEN begin to write your own custom software that monitors everything.

No one, anywhere, uses anything like this 'off the shelf'. There is nothing like this pre-written, because EVERYTHING is custom written to fit the needs/wants of who is using it. What works for UPS would be a total failure for FedEx, even though they both do the exact same things.
Agree.

Unless you have your own infrastructure and make sure that it is absolutely used in all shipping+receiving, then it's likely going to break down.

This is a reason why all the shipping companies have invested lots of money into their tracking infrastructure.

Whatever you do, if it's half implemented, or some people can get away with not following it, then you'll probably have problems. The truth is, people are lazy and they lie.

I've worked on a lot of equipment tracking projects for companies that wanted to put GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, Cellular, etc on their equipment so they can track it all the time. Not every technology is foolproof, and batteries die.

This doesn't mean that developing workforce and equipment management systems are lost causes, they all can have flaws, but also they all are custom and privatized to each business interest using them, in my humble opinion.

But to me it does mean that there's not some freeware out there ready to serve your wishes.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #8
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052Reputation: 3052
I wonder if some work or production line sort of setup could be used to track packages much like work can be tracked? Or use terms like production, manufacturing and such.

In a very basic sense it is just a database and you could use any that have concurrency.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
JeremyBoden

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 371Reputation: 371Reputation: 371Reputation: 371
How about adding RFID tags to each package and somehow making sure that they get read at the warehouse and all intermediate locations to their destinations.

You would need a bit of hardware, but it would allow you to feed location information back to your server providing that you invested in some staff training.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117Reputation: 6117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefro View Post
I wonder if some work or production line sort of setup could be used to track packages much like work can be tracked? Or use terms like production, manufacturing and such. In a very basic sense it is just a database and you could use any that have concurrency.
Again, yes...it could be used; see previous post about FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc., etc., to ANY business that handles a large amount of packages. Because that's EXACTLY what they have. UPC code scanners that scan all six sides of a box at once, feeding the belts, etc...been done for many years, and none of it is off-the-shelf, it's all custom written. And the OP is/was asking for an off-the-shelf solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBoden
How about adding RFID tags to each package and somehow making sure that they get read at the warehouse and all intermediate locations to their destinations. You would need a bit of hardware, but it would allow you to feed location information back to your server providing that you invested in some staff training.
RFID won't work well for this, since you'd need close proximity to activate the tag, and it'd have to move slowly as well. Not to mention you'd either have to have the tags in the same place on each package and/or HAVE TO put the box on the belt in the exact same orientation every time. And to do what the OP is after, it'd have to also have tag readers in the trucks, and the trucks themselves would have to be tracked.

There's just nothing pre-written that does anything CLOSE to this. FedEx and other entities spend millions a year to implement and maintain these systems.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
ChuangTzu

Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others

Rep: Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762Reputation: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by figleaf08 View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if there is any open-source software out there that I could use to track packages/parcels that are delivered from our warehouse to our other branches. We would like something that can show us where packages are being lost or if they are arriving. It can be a package/plugin to be installed on wordpress or maybe something else.

Crossing my fingers hoping there is something like that.

Thanks in advance.
This site tracks packages from all carriers, very accurate: https://www.packagetrackr.com/

Old 03-30-2020, 01:54 AM   #12
chrism01
LQ Guru

Distribution: Centos 7.7 (?), Centos 8.1

Rep: Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523Reputation: 2523
Unfortunately that won't work, the OP wants a system for internal txfrs
Quote:
I wanted something to use internally at the company. ...... Something to track packages within the company's item transfers.
@OP: as others have said above, these systems are custom for each company and it's extremely unlikely there is a complete pkg anywhere for you to use.

You'd need to build your own; a web fronted DB would suffice on the SW core end.
You'll also need bar code scanners/rfid trackers & a way to make them talk to the system ....
You may be able to find pkgs for that, although you'll have to pay for them when you buy the scanners.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #13
TenTenths

Distribution: Centos 5 / 6 / 7

Rep: Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284Reputation: 1284
I've previously used software from this company: https://www.bcpsoftware.com/ for warehouse management, pallet put-away, etc. They may be of assistance. Do Not expect this to be cheap or quick to implement.

[Edit/Anecdote]First day as a linux admin at the company that was using that product I was asked to go and "check the telnet on forklift 4". I thought it was a wind-up, but turns out that all the forklift trucks had 2 line rugged wireless telnet terminals to allow them access to the software for pallet management.

Last edited by TenTenths; 03-30-2020 at 05:31 AM.