LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Server
User Name
Password
Linux - Server This forum is for the discussion of Linux Software used in a server related context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
InvalidUserName
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Postfix: Connection refused when sending to smart host

Hello!

I am currently setting up my new mail server at home using postfix and dovecot. The server is connected to the Internet via DSL, i.e. with a dynamic IP. Therefore I got postfix up and running using several smart hosts with the sender dependent auth to forward e-mails to two different mail providers.

However, I just cannot get postfix to send out the e-mails. All mails are just piling up in mailq with status deferred. Unfortunately, mail.log is rather uninformative showing not more than "Connection refused".

Here is the terribly unhelpful mail.log:

Code:
607FC1FF8A: from=<user2@example2>, size=599, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
connect to mailgateway.provider[xx.xx.xx.xx]:25: Connection refused
607FC1FF8A: to=<xyz@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=1174, delays=1174/0.02/0.49/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mailgateway.provider[xx.xx.xx.xx]:25: Connection refused)
My provider offers (S)SMTP via port 465 or TLS via 25. Going to port 465 I got back the following

Code:
SMTPS wrappermode (TCP port 465) requires setting "smtp_tls_wrappermode = yes", and "smtp_tls_security_level = encrypt" (or stronger)
connect to mailgateway.provider[xx.xx.xx.xx]:465: Connection refused
Setting smtp_tls_wrappermode and smtp_tls_security accordingly at main.cf of postfix and I am back to
Code:
connect to mailgateway.provider[xx.xx.xx.xx]:465: Connection refused
Doing a openssl s_client -crlf -connect provider:465 runs through without any issues, doing openssl s_client -crlf -connect provider:25 returns
Code:
139950738130048:error:0200206F:system library:connect:Connection refused:../crypto/bio/b_sock2.c:110:
139950738130048:error:2008A067:BIO routines:BIO_connect:connect error:../crypto/bio/b_sock2.c:111:connect:errno=111
I first thought I had some issues with postfix, but then I found a post suggesting to remove "noplaintext" from smtp_sasl_security_options in main.cf of postfix. That did the trick for the other mail provider but does not turn things with the (main) provider above.

At the same time, I can send e-mails from my computer to the very same mail provider directly via Thunderbird using port 465. At the server, I did not (yet) set up any iptables and there should be nothing else blocking access. Adresses are being mapped from local to the real ones by postfix.

I wish I could provide more log files or at least some with more info, but that is all I got myself.

Appreciate any bit of advice because I really do not know what to do now.
Thank you all in advance.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #2
InvalidUserName
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Solved it. There was an issue with the VPN.