LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
Samsara

Distribution: Ubuntu, Mac OS X Tiger

Rep: Reputation: 32
Browsers turning into desktops?

Over the last few years, we've seen the Mozilla family of browers [1] evolve into feature-rich, usability-oriented browsers, especially with the new concepts of tabs and extensions, the latter allowing, amongst other things, new side pane applications.

This differs markedly from the traditional "one app, one function" mantra of the Unix community, although there are parallels with the history of the editor Emacs, which some say is now an operating system in itself.

From a Linux perspective, it may seem like a mistake to embark on including tab functionality within the application rather than contributing to existing window manager projects that allow tabbing. Will the Linux community thus come to suffer from a Windows legacy in Firefox?

Secondly, the idea of side panes can also seem short-sighted under the same considerations. While some side panes provide functionality that is clearly part of the browser, others do not, and other parts of Firefox that could fall under the side pane paradigm are not implemented in that way: for instance, the download window.

A compromise would be to rebuild the framework such that the user could decide whether a given app should run in the sidebar or an external window. However, the main browser window menu does not interact with sidebar content except to determine what should be shown in the sidebar. Hence, the sidebar could always be a separate window that the window manager could be instructed to always place next to the browser. The simplest way to deal with switching between different sidebar views, e.g. history and bookmarks, would be to simply spawn a new window. Hence, different sidebar windows could be shown as tabbed.

I conclude that having "Downloads" as a separate window is a step in the right direction, and that this should be applied to all extensions. The focus must then be on contributing to a window manager that supports the above features. The one I am thinking of is Ion [2]; there may be others with similar features.

[1] Mozilla, Firefox, Epiphany, Galeon, Camino, ...
[2] http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/intro.html

I have posted the same article on mozillazine.org; perhaps it is best to discuss it there:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1585763

Last edited by Samsara; 07-06-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
oneandoneis2

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 48
Quote:
I conclude that having "Downloads" as a separate window is a step in the right direction, and that this should be applied to all extensions.
And how is that supposed to work with the Adblock and Greasemonkey extensions?

What would impress ME about the download window would be a way to leave it running after logging out of X11. Currently if I want to download something while I'm not logged in, I have to use the "screen" app along with BitTorrent or wget or some such. Bit of a pain when the download link was in Firefox. . .

Old 07-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Samsara

Original Poster
Have a look at this one which was just suggested in the thread on mozillazine:
http://robin.sourceforge.net/

Quite a funky idea!

Samsara

Old 07-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Samsara

Original Poster
The fundamental problem is that there are three layers: virtual desktops, windows and elements within windows (e.g. sidebar vs. main pane), and this affects the generality of Alt+Tab, leaving aside for a moment the question whether we really need three layers anyway.

Multi-window apps like the Gimp (before version 2.0) are difficult to manage in some existing tabbed window managers because there is no one-to-one mapping of processes to windows. In addition to this, it must be possible to identify the function of a process (e.g. download window vs. main window) - I'm not sure what the functionality sysfs provides in this regard. (I should check whether there is one-to-one mapping in KDE, although process names are even less helpful there!)

I think it would be interesting to build a GTK-based tabbed window manager that didn't rely on the pane paradigm (trying to avoid the paneless pun). This could be done with a slight modification of the algorithm used for the edge-align feature in current Metacity.

Once again, the discussion thread is at mozillazine:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=288660

Cheers,

Samsara