LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #1
tripwire45

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10

Rep: Reputation: 15
Adding Firebox to Gnome Desktop

I just started using Debian on a testbox at work and downloaded and installed Firefox 1.0. I'm very new to all this and don't know how to add Firefox to the menus, create a desktop shortcut or make it the default browser. Firefox Help says to go to Edit -> Preferences and to click the Set Default Browser button in the General panel. Problem is, that button isn't there.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #2
bardinjw

Distribution: ubuntu debian redhat fedora

i forget what gnome calls it, but right click on the desktop, and there should be an option for ?launcher?, or "link to application" or something.
anyway, you can use this to make desktop icons. just enter the path to firefox, (or just firefox, if it's in your path already, but the installer doesn't usually do this), and there is an icon to usr in the firefix directory.

adding to the menu is similar, just need to find the menu editor in gnome (maybe rightclick on the menu itself?)

i can check later

Old 12-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
m_yates

Distribution: Debian, Mint, Mythbuntu

Rep: Reputation: 101Reputation: 101
In gnome, left click to open the menu, then right click on the menu and select "entire menu > add new item to this menu" That will pop up a window. Give it a name like "Firefox". The command is "mozilla-firefox". If you click on the square that says "no icon", it will open a box with a list of icons you can choose for the new menu entry.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
tripwire45

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10

Original Poster
Thanks. I just figured out what I was missing. I had to give the path to firefox in the command field. Works like a charm now. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by tripwire45; 12-01-2004 at 03:34 PM.