LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
shibatatie
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question GNOME 2.6 download qusetion

I have found a website where has GNOME 2.6 packages for slackware. However the question was there are three types of packages, i486, i586 and i686. It's tricky. How can I know which one I should download for my box?( I have a desktop with a AMD 2500 cpu and a laptop with an intel cpu).

Btw way if you are looking for a place where you can download GNOME 2.6 for slackware, go there: hxxp://slackpacks.tchelinux.com.br/Gnome-2.6/

Old 04-04-2004, 05:03 AM   #2
wallison

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 18
The iX86 refers to the CPU. You have an i686, (that is, Pentium Pro and later chips). You can use
any of those packages since the ones compiled with i486 optimizations will run on a more recent chips but not vice versa. Some feel there is a big performance increase when compiled with i686 and that's what you have so...

Old 04-05-2004, 05:41 AM   #3
JonCooperUK
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Btw way if you are looking for a place where you can download GNOME 2.6 for slackware, go there: http://slackpacks.tchelinux.com.br/Gnome-2.6/
What is the best way to install Gnome 2.6 using these packages?

Would wget-ing them, then running an installpkg *.tgz in the directory do the trick? Or can you use the URL as a swaret repository?

Old 04-05-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
cybrjackle

Distribution: Debian etch/lenny/sid, Fedora 7/Rawhide, CentOS 4/5, FreeBSD 6.2 and Solaris 10/Nevada

Rep: Reputation: 16
Looks like you just need to grab all the tgz's from "common" and "arch" and just upgradepkg *.tgz in the dir.

Just a guess, but that should work.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
markpmc
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slack since 96

Rep: Reputation: 0
Have you guys thought of running dropline-gnome? Dropline is specifically designed and packaged for slackware. I've been using it for 2 years with nary a complaint. Dropline takes all the usual supects from the gnome install and ensures that each one is compiled to support the other. It makes for a very nice and tight desktop.

Check them out at
Dropline.net

I've recently downloaded the beta for dropline gnome 2.6. It looks pretty good, but there arew a few issues w/ some of the multimedia apps. The beta is available via bittorrent (see the forum for specifics).

markpmc

Old 04-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
jong357

Distribution: DIYSlackware

Rep: Reputation: 52
I'm not so sure I'd rely on those packages..... I downloaded evolution and the libs from that i686 page and these packages are screwed up.... He makes refrences to libgal and libgtkhtml in the evolution doinstall.sh......... ?? Refrences, I might add that are not only NOT included in the evolution package but the version numbers of the libs that 1.5 wants don't even corespond to the lib packages he is dishing out on the same page..... I'm having a hell of a time straightening out evolution.... I've been running 1.4.5 for awhile so I thought I'd give it a whirl.... Like to make my own slak-pak with all the deps included.... I'd be curious to hear if anyone has success with those gnome packages.... The first package out of over a hundred I look at and it's not right..... Just a thought for everyone....

Jon

Old 04-05-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
cybrjackle

Distribution: Debian etch/lenny/sid, Fedora 7/Rawhide, CentOS 4/5, FreeBSD 6.2 and Solaris 10/Nevada

Rep: Reputation: 16
i'm waiting for PatV

Old 04-05-2004, 10:50 PM   #8
satanic_linux

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

I downloaded them packages and installed them , but it broke my Gnome he does say on the site that he has only tested them on his PC so be careful.
markpmc has an idea use Dropline gnome i am runnign it and havent had a problem with it, 2.6 is due out any day for Dropline , there is a beta test out with Dropline mods they are available on bittorrent.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:17 AM   #9
jong357

Yea, I've been running gnome 2.6 from source the past week. I thought it sucked.... Really disappointed..... Made a backup of my 2.4 to a new partition and tried with all those packages again from above.... Looks the same... Only acts worse.... Have some really bad problems with gconf..... Hardly nothing works...

The devs must have been smoking some crack when they came up with the "new window" idea.... If you start at / and want to browse 5 or 6 directories deep, you have 6 or 7 open windows by the time you get there... It really laughable...... You can't help but shake your head and wonder what the hell they were thinking... I've been bashing KDE for years but I will switch to it if 2.8 doesn't have an option to change it back to 2.4 style.... I'll be really upset if Pat uses 2.6 on the next version too.... I'll have to use 9.1 disk 2 to install Gnome.... They also give you a "My Computer" looking icon on the desktop labled as 'computer'..... It makes me shudder just looking at it.... I could go on about quite a few other things but I wont... Ah..... Oh well..... They went to hell in a hand basket rather quick....

Jon

Old 04-06-2004, 03:55 AM   #10
Minderbinder

Distribution: Slackware-current

Quote:
Originally posted by jong357
I've been bashing KDE for years but I will switch to it if 2.8 doesn't have an option to change it back to 2.4 style

Jon
You can change it back in 2.6. Run gconf-editor and select apps->nautilus->preferences->always_use_browser.

I am running dropline 2.6.0-test1 and I haven't had any problems.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #11
Nis

Distribution: Ubuntu Hoary (5.04)

Rep: Reputation: 31
I guess the 'spatial' nautilus thing isn't going as well as many had hoped. I, for one, love it, but it did take me a while to appreciate it. A couple things about the multiple windows things: the idea behind that is the window _is_ the folder; nautilus will "remember" the size and placing of that window when you close it. Eventually you'll have different areas of your screen for different parts of your file system. Also, to not have 6 or 7 windows open when browsing deep, double-middle-click on the folder to open it and close the parent window. I'm sure many have gotten used to middle-clicking to open sites in new tabs on Epiphany; just try it and see. Finally, if you really don't like the spatial thing, just do what Mindbender suggests to turn it off.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:38 AM   #12
Raptor Ramjet

Distribution: Slackware "current" - Praise "Bob" !!!!

May I just add my tu'ppence worth to the debate....

Spatial browsing is the worst thing I have ever seen in a file manager.

It reminds me of my Windows machine where you have the lovely convenience of Mozilla Firefox versus Internet Explorer opening popups and multiple windows all over the place. Multiple windows suck big time.

And a major annoyance is that you can't switch it off in Nautilus via either the "view" or "edit" > "preferences" menus (I know you can do so via gconf-editor but the option should be available from the application)

Windows explorer and KDEs Konqueror have got it right. Show the folder/network/object hierarchy etc. in the left hand pane, and the contents of the currently selected folder/object in the right hand pane.

If you can't understand this elegant way of viewing your computers file system then sorry but you're probably too stupid to use a computer at all.

Spatial browsing is the worst thing to have happened to my computer desktop since Windows ME and/or Microsofts stinking paper clip.

Just my tu'ppence worth.

Old 04-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #13
jong357

Quote:
And a major annoyance is that you can't switch it off in Nautilus via either the "view" or "edit" > "preferences" menus (I know you can do so via gconf-editor but the option should be available from the application)
Yea, thats what I was talking about. I had read the GConf trick somewhere.... There needs to be a check box in the prefrences... That was just plain lack of foresight to not include one.... I think Ximian Desktop took the best of both worlds and made a really nice Gnome Desktop..... Am I right in thinking that you can't delete or rename or move the "My Computer" icon from your desktop? That really sucked as well..... The last thing I want to look at in Linux is a "My Computer" icon from Windows 98...... Horrible..... Ah...... Oh well......

I hate the way nautilus 2.6 works as well.... I'm sure you might be able to get used to it maybe.... Not me.... It's too haphazard and cluttered..... I'm all over my partition using a WM and you cannot be productive constantly trying to close windows all the time, regardless of whether or not they give you an option to "close parent folders"...... Hopefully they will throw a little option in the prefrences on 2.6.0.2 or something like that.....