LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
henryg

Distribution: Slackware 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 32
List of Proprietory Software for Linux

The greatest thing about Linux is the vast amoung of free open source software you can find. But that does not mean companies are not allowed to produce commercial software and have Linux as part as their business model too. Have you bought any commercial software for Linux? Is it any good? What is it for? What is their website?

Here is a list for "Commercial" alternatives so far:

Databases

Aqua Data Studio - a Database Query Admin tool similar to MS Enterprise Manager. It runs on Java and is free for personal use. Some limitations concerning MS SQL Server (like editing colums)

Datadino Database Explorer - a Java Database Query and Admin tool. But with a different "lighter" feel. They offer a 30-day free evaluation.

DbVisualizer - another competing Database manager running on Java. They offer a 21-day eval license key. Very rich in features but cumbersome to edit columns (only via scripts)

Development

JBuilder
- A Java Development Platform which is free for personal use.
The personal edition is more limited, but suits anyone who just want to write simple Applets.

Kylix 3 - A Delphi Platform for Linux which is free for GPL projects. The enviroment may be used to develop C++ applications also. It hasn't been maintained or updated since 2002 (probably abandoned?)

Torque Game Engine - A complete cross-platform engine for developing games. The same engine used in Tribes, Starsiege, and Tribes 2. In the site you will find other supporting development tools and some published "indie" games.

Revolution - More of an 'educational' programming language enforcing OO programming. The syntax is pure structured English, and the visual environment is multiplatform. Suse users can get a free copy of Revolution Express. Priced dearly and original made for Mac OS.

Pure Basic - Meant to be the closest you can get to VB 6.0 in Linux. They recently released an IDE for Linux. Anything it compiles they claim runs on Windows/Mac/Amiga. This needs a second test-drive since it runs with GTK and that felt slow on my distro (all GTK apps are slow here). It may be faster on a second distro, will re-test this soon. Or you can test it yourselves

Drivers

Linuxant - A driver that allows some classes of "winmodems" working on Linux. I've recently had experience of this. The installation is not obviously easy, but easy enough. The price is not absurd which at $14.95 ($19.99 now) could see your laptop modem or similar working for ever as a dial-up in case of emergencies. You will need the kernel source installed. You will need to be online (via adsl say) to "authenticate" your driver. It really works and I am impressed but make sure your modem is Conexant based! If you generate a key you will *not* get your money back.

Wireless Driver Loader - From the same company above. They offer a 30-day trial. Well worth it - because in my case it didn't work, but I managed to make the native drivers work instead

ESP Print Pro - Multi platform Printer driver management. The software boasts of over 5300 printer driver. On Linux operates via a webconsole and reconfiguring Cups. They offer a free trial.

http://www.turboprint.de/ - untested

Emulators

Cedega - Provides a way of playing Windows Games on Linux. You can play new titles such as Half-Life 2 or popular titles such as World of WarCraft via their DirectX emulation. Support and downloading of the software works via a minimal subscription of 3 months ($5 per month).

CrossOver Office - The commercial version of Wine. With it you can easily install Internet Explorer 6, Dreamweaver, Photoshop without the hassles of difficult configurations. All works via a friendly interface.

Win4Lin - Allows you to run an almost perfect Windows enviroment. Win4Lin boasts of greater compatibility and speed with Windows applications. As long as they are themselves compatible with the OS you choose to install which is currently limited to Windows 95 / 98 / 98SE or ME.
Netraverse is now offering a Win4Lin Home edition for 1/3 of the price (well worth it).

Win4Lin Pro - From the same company above.
But meant to emulate Windows XP / 2000. Sadly much more expense though nowhere as fast as Win4Lin. Also not as compatible only some specific SP packs work.

Vmware - Provides a x86 virtual machine emulator whereby you can install most operating systems to work alongside Linux. You will need at last 1 GHz and 512 Mb Ram to take advantage of the software, as its very resource-hungry. Checkout the free download Vmware Plugin.

Graphics, Education & Multimedia

Photogenics
- Photogenics is a Graphics Manipulation Environment that feels very light and very fast Truly responsive. The approach is different - it doesn't resemble neither Photoshop nor Gimp, almost as if the developers sat on a drawing board and re-invited the concept of digital image via an interface from scratch.

Maya - Maya Complete is the only version that runs on Linux sadly they do not offer a free trial, so its difficult for me to tell you about how well or not it performs [untested]

Main Actor - Video editing software, runs initially only on Suse and Mandrake. But if you manage to get a libavc1394 rpm you will be able to install the trial version which runs for 30 days or your distro - it will add a watermark to any mpeg when you export. Very responsive. The GUI has big chunky visible letters. The software itself seemed to do what its suppose to with many filters and effect for video editing.

QCad [untested]
Studio to Go [untested]
Linux CAD [untested]
http://www.apple.com/shake/ [untested]
http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/ [untested]

Mathematica [untested]
MatLab [untested]
Maple [untested]

http://www.fastrabbitsoftware.com/mathwords.htm [Educational Maths]
http://www.fastrabbitsoftware.com/musicflashcards.htm [Educational Music]

Finances

MoneyDance [untested]
Quasar [untested]
Linux General Ledger [untested]

Games

For a list of all commercial titles try this

a few titles which are not listed above:

http://www.darwinia.co.uk/
http://puzzlepirates.ubi.com/
DD Poker
War! Age of Imperialism

More Ported Games
- Tux games provide a library of Linux ports most from the Loki-Software era (2002) now sadly defunct.
From time to time you get fresh releases like Doom3, long awaited ports like Robin Hood, or older rebatched ports like Tribes 2 for a limited time (which rapidly sells out).
Not the best support, so do expect breaking your head and trawling through forums to make their titles work.

Internet

Opera - is free now.

Limewire - Cute File Sharing Applet. And you won't get spyware or trojans. There are two versions to download: free and pro.

Igloo FTP [untested]

Office

Textmaker Very slick, very light WordProcessor that claims to offer better compatibility with Word files than OpenOffice itself. At a price .. that price also includes less features. Very fast on most Linux distros, the launching is almost instantaneous. One month trial free download

Planmaker Following the same trend, this is a Spreadsheet with less functionality than the Titans but very fast. It is sufficiently capable of perfoming most operations. It offers unparallel compatibility with Excel files. One month trial free download.

StarOffice (commercial version of OpenOffice)
Hancom Office [untested]
Primavera (Project management) [untested]

http://www.thinkfree.com/

Utilities

NX [untested]

(add antivirus solutions here)
Skypeout (allows you to make phone calls from your PC) [untested]
Nero Linux (Nero CD burner now for Linux) [untested]
http://www.slickedit.com
http://www.versora.com/products/ [Windows -> Linux migration utilities]

Last edited by henryg; 11-03-2005 at 05:25 AM.

Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
ror

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 33
ut2k4, doom3 and neverwinter nights are 3 commercial games which run native in linux, all three are fantastic

Old 01-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
slackist

Distribution: Slackware 14.2 and Slackware Arm

Rep: Reputation: 44
I bought the Linuxant winmodem driver, it saves some wires on my table.

I am not sure which category this falls under.

mark

Old 01-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
Proud

Distribution: Used to use Mandrake/Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
Got UT2K3 and UT2K4, plus just paid for a 6month subscription to Cedega to try out some games like Dawn Of War, Max Payne 2, hopefully Dungeon Siege 2, Half Life 2, etc.
I've skipped the Linuxant winmodem drivers-just keep a 2.4 kernel install with the older free drivers for when I have to use 56K.
I've also forked over for a few Mandrake PowerPacks and support a company that posts burned distro cds to me (fastdiscs.com).

Old 01-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
henryg

Original Poster
ha! its funny how some software which is compatible with Linux
being platform independant.
they preferred to omit such statement - for whatever reason ...
maybe to save ink ?

Last edited by henryg; 01-20-2005 at 01:36 AM.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
chalewa4bambu

Distribution: mandrake

Rep: Reputation: 15
googling gave me this

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/Lin...lications.html

Old 01-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
jlangelier

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
http://www.eaglegames.net/products/dd_poker/index.htm

This is the first game I ever saw on a 'normal' store shelf that ran on Linux. "DD Tournament Poker" endorsed by Annie Duke.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
shengchieh

Distribution: #! Korora

Rep: Reputation: 30
Take a look at my webpage for more stuffs.

http://www.websamba.com/Linux_Docs_Links

gnucash, gnuplot, checkbooktracking, mozilla, firefox, and
more come to mind.

Sheng-Chieh

Old 01-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #9
henryg

Original Poster
ah right ok
saves you from typing again I guess

Last edited by henryg; 01-08-2005 at 10:48 PM.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
henryg

Original Poster
Just shows ...

How there are way more applications for Linux - we are not aware of.
Maybe they lack advertising fund - or maybe they are not good at P.R
(but excellent programmers nevertheless)

Sometimes a small company will work extremely hard for a Linux version
just for the love for the OS (not so much financial gains)
(to be honest developing for multiple platform is VERY hard)
unless you use Java or cross-platform libraries like QT but even then ...

so if you like their products - please buy
show that there is a decent Linux consumer Base.

But hey try their demo first!
Don't go buying something that is crap lol.

I can vouch for textmaker, planmaker, win4lin, vmware, crossover-office.

Last edited by henryg; 01-08-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
henryg

Original Poster
any more?

Old 01-23-2005, 03:56 AM   #12
Braveheart1980

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.10

Rep: Reputation: 30
Did any of you managed to run Dawn of war under linux using cedega ?

Old 01-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #13
jlinkels
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian /Jessie/Stretch/Sid, Linux Mint DE

Rep: Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039Reputation: 1039
I am using Opera Web Browser and QCAD. For both applications I bought the license.

Opera is OK, I am a diehard Opera user on Windoze platforms and I wanted to have it in Linux as well.

QCAD is a very, very good CAD program for Linux, which offers unsurpassed value for your money.

I have read some horor reviews about LinuxCAD which discouraged me to try it.

jlinkels

Old 01-26-2005, 07:27 AM   #14
henryg

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by jlinkels
I am using Opera Web Browser and QCAD. For both applications I bought the license.

Opera is OK, I am a diehard Opera user on Windoze platforms and I wanted to have it in Linux as well.

QCAD is a very, very good CAD program for Linux, which offers unsurpassed value for your money.

I have read some horor reviews about LinuxCAD which discouraged me to try it.

jlinkels
could you write a few lines on QCAD please?
I do not know how to use a CAD - so would prefer a better summary from someone with know-how.
A few lines would do.

I also have Opera for Linux (with License)
Which I use continuosly for testing sites.
You can write a few lines on that too - if you wish
And I will amend my first post.

thanks for your input.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:58 PM   #15
hand of fate

Distribution: Mandriva

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by shengchieh
Take a look at my webpage for more stuffs.

http://www.websamba.com/Linux_Docs_Links

gnucash, gnuplot, checkbooktracking, mozilla, firefox, and
more come to mind.

Sheng-Chieh
I've never heard of a program called "checkbooktracking", but I am certain that all the others you've listed are in fact open source!

Three more that really are commercial:

Maple
Matlab
Mathematica