LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
compu73rg33k

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Firefox & java

well java won't work with my Firefox. WHenever a page needs to use java a box pops up telling me to install it. I install it and then it says 'Mozilla needs to be restarted for changes to take effect' so I restart it and still no java works. Now on regular mozilla it works just not firefox...

Old 07-07-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
Linux~Powered

Distribution: Slackware 14.2

Rep: Reputation: 33
What version of java are you using? You need to install the 1.4.2 one.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
hw-tph

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 58
How and where is Firefox installed? You can create a symbolic link in the Firefox plugins directory pointing to the libjavaplugin_oji.so in the Java JRE directory (use the copy in the ns610-gcc32 dir) and it should work.

Håkan

Old 07-07-2004, 10:09 AM   #4
arobic

Distribution: Debian 3.1, SLC3 (based on RHEL)

Rep: Reputation: 15
Hi guys!

I actually had a similar problem, that I posted a while ago in the following thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=194123

It happened that if I put a link in the firefox plugin directory as hw-tph mentionned, it
worked (even if that's what I did in the first place, but...), but I still have a problem when I try to connect to go.icq.com. It won't let me connect, saying that there is a java communication error 830.7.155 and that the connection cannot be establish.
Did any of you encountered this error? Does it mean that online version of icq can't be used on linux and that I should use licq or some other client?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-07-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
compu73rg33k

Original Poster
/usr/src/firefox/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so is the file I put a symbolic link to in my /usr/src/firefox/plugins/ directory
Still doesn't work...

Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 AM   #6
arobic

Quote:
/usr/src/firefox/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so is the file I put a symbolic link to
No, your symbolic link must be to the libjavaplugin_oji.so in your java installation directory, not in the firefox plugins directory. At least it worked for me.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:58 AM   #7
webazoid

can u guys post the exact commands? i'm a newbie and haven't been able to get java to work in firefox or mozilla i downloaded. however, the old mozilla 1.6 that came w/ mdk 10 did work. i'm pretty puzzled.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:10 AM   #8
arobic

Ok, so here is what I did:

- Download the source for java 1.4.2 (from Sun website or any other relevant source)
- extract it and build it.
- Now you should have a directory called j2re1.4.2_04 (or something similar) in some path you've chosen. This is the directory that was extracted for the tarball.
- In you firefox plugins directory, type the following:
ln -s pathtoyourjavadirectory/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
- This will make a symbolic link from the java plugin to your firefox plugins directory.
- For what it's worth you can do the same thing in the ./mozilla/plugins directory. Depending on the plugin, you need to put it in one or the other.

This worked for me. Tell me how it goes for you.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:47 AM   #9
webazoid

Quote:
Originally posted by arobic

- Download the source for java 1.4.2 (from Sun website or any other relevant source)
- Now you should have a directory called j2re1.4.2_04 (or something similar) in some path you've chosen. This is the directory that was extracted for the tarball.
ln -s pathtoyourjavadirectory/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
- This will make a symbolic link from the java plugin to your firefox plugins directory.
- For what it's worth you can do the same thing in the ./mozilla/plugins directory. Depending on the plugin, you need to put it in one or the other.

Thanks! finally solved the problem:

1. using konquerer, migrate to firefox's plugins directory [for me this was <path>/firefox/plugins].
2. Open up a terminal window [Tools-->termina] and type su/pw [not sure if the su option is necessary]
3. type: ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji

Old 07-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
compu73rg33k

Original Poster
omg finally! Thank you sooooooo much!

Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #11
Micro420

Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4

Rep: Reputation: 45
Another method is to log into KDE and you can just open two windows and do the drag-n-drop (create shortcut).

Old 08-08-2004, 03:17 PM   #12
ftcnt
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by arobic

thanks a lot, your explanation is the best ive seen anywhere. it is simple and easy to use

now i can finally use java

Old 08-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #13
soupatech
LQ Newbie

Very nice... I too have been trying for days to figure this out... thanks!

Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
DeadlySin3
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian 3.0r2.Sarge

Hello,

I'm having a java related issue with firefox as well. Now, i've gone through the instuctions at java.com a couple times and i've made the (correct?) symbolic link as needed, yet I cannot get firefox to load applets. I have no problem loading applets with Konqueror, however.

Just for the record, i'm using Debian sarge with mozilla firefox 1.0.

Java is installed here:

/usr/local/java/jre1.5.0_02

Mozilla is installed here:

/etc/mozilla-firefox

The symbolic link i've created was used with this command on a terminal as root:

deadlysin3:/etc/mozilla-firefox/jre1.5.0_02/plugin# ln -s /usr/local/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

i've restarted firefox since creating said symlink and I still get the 'missing plugins' message when I visit java.com. This is really frustrating as i'm sure you all know haha. Anyway, is there something i'm doing wrong? I've heard some say that I need to install jre1.4.2 as opposed to 1.5.0 - could this be the problem?

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated, as always.

-Paul

Old 04-08-2005, 08:32 AM   #15
ikthius
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Suse 9.3 Pro (KDE)

I too am having trouble with getting the java plugin to work with firefox.

I have Firefox 1.0.2, java 1.5 & mandrake 10.1

java is installed here: /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29 in this file I have:
1: libjavaplugin@ (flashing with a red background)
2: libjavaplugin_oji.so* (normal colour, for what my terminal is. Everything is a nice green)
3: ns7-gcc29@ (light blue)

so I take it I need the /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so* but without the *?

my Firefox is here: /home/ikthius/firefox-installer/plugins where i have this file: libnullplugin.so*

I have tried a link symbolic by going into my Konqueror in the plugins directory within Firefox, and opening a terminal, there I type:
su
add my password
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so

but when I try to restart firefox, it tries to open then fails, everytime.

I have been trying to do this for 2 days now, and nothing I do works.

I have also tried to do it without the last libjavaplugin_oji.so

what am I doing wrong.

ik

EDIT: I fixed my problem, I was using the file in the java directory of ns7-gcc29 when in fact I changed it to the ns7 directory, there was the same libjavaplugin file so I entered this as a normal user not super user.
[ikthius@*-*-* ~/firefox-installer/plugins]$ ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_02/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Last edited by ikthius; 04-08-2005 at 09:12 AM.