LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
medieburner
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Program like dvdshrink

Hey all linux geeks :-P

is there a program for linux like dvdshrink for windows, i really need a application for linux there can make a full dvd fits on at 4.7 dvd-r disc. I also need a burning application there can burn the dvd :-D

Ill pray for help
//Medieburner

Old 10-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
CroMagnon

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 33
There is dvd::rip, a front end for transcode, that can do most of the work (create smaller MPEGs). Then you can use dvdauthor to create the correct VOB structure, and mkisofs and growisofs to create and burn the DVD. I am working on a tool that makes this easy, as I have a lot of DVDs that I want to re-compress and back up, but I haven't found a single one that does everything I need. At the moment I use shell scripts and a couple of python scripts to semi-automate the process (I use transcode directly, I find dvd::rip too clunky to work with).

Old 10-08-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
knappster

Rep: Reputation: 30
You can actually run DVDShrink in Linux using a Windows emulation tool called wine. It takes a little time to set up, but I made a tutorial that should walk you through it. Check it out here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=1152931#post1152931
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?postid=1152931#post1152931

Honestly, I've looked for Linux native tools to do it, but this program is probably the best option. It's just a matter of making it work in Linux. As far as a burning tool, check out K3b. It's the only one I've used and as far as I'm concerned it's great. Hopefully this helps, and good luck.

-Knappster