LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #1
kspades
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
VMware 5 and SUSE 9.3 host - anyone got it to work?

As usual during install it breaks when it looks to compile drivers for your system. Usually there are fan submitted patches that made 4.5 work, but so far there has been none. If you got this to work, help me out here, what am I doing wrong?

Old 04-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
crazibri

Distribution: OS X, SuSE, RH, Debian, XP

Rep: Reputation: 31
Well I had experience w/ VMWare 5 beta version with Suse 9.2 and I got it working but it is a bit tricky because you have to install the VMtools pack before you can boot into KDE (KDM).

Make sure when you go through the text prompts on the Suse Install program that you pick the C compiler options so you can compile (gcc) the vmtools for your display and tools to work ok.

When the install finishes it doesnt boot into X because you need to install the tools. Basically for login type root, then your password. Then on your VMware menu select the option to install the tools.

Then you just have to mount it to your cd location... probably something like mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom.

Then you just have to cd to your /media/cdrom location and then do a copy to your /root folder (or wherever you want) and then untar it and follow the readme instructions.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by crazibri; 04-23-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:07 AM   #3
kspades
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Im not sure, but it sounds like you are reffering to SUSE as a guest OS.

I was asking about SUSE 9.3 as a host, so I can run XP as a guest, the VMware 5 installer went up to the point where it had to compile the modules then it bombed out.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
crazibri

You're right, I missed the host part.
Sorry thought you were talking about Suse guest. ASSUME = well you know what it means

I'll give it a shot at some point, but I'm on Suse 9.2 w/ KDE 3.4 so I wont be of much help

Old 04-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
Ageless
LQ Newbie

5.0 VMware is pretty easy to setup under 9.3 suse. You should have 2 packages a rpm and a tar.gz package. Use YaST to run the vmware-workstation-5.0.0-xxxxxx.i386.rpm which will prompt YaST to install the related packages. You will need your Suse 9.3 setup disk, if cds youll need disk 2,4,5. Follow those prompts in YaST. Then extract the vmware-workstation-5.0.0-xxxxxx.i386.tar.gz and copy the folder over to /usr/local/scr/.

Then open the vmware-distrib folder and execute ./vmware-install.pl. I think I might have had to chmod +x the file before executing. Once installed it will ask if you want to run the config say yes. Youll have to agree to the license agreement and then answer a few simple questions to complete the config. After that you should see on the Kmenu under Systems a new folder "more programs --> VMware workstation"

Click to run and then on the menu enter your license key and your done. I couldnt get the 3d support to work for the video card, but it apparently works well for 8500 and lower ati cards. You can go to vmware.com/support to get more info on the 3d video acceleration support. If any one can get 3d support for a 9800 pro it would be appreciated, Id like to try some 3d games on the virtual machine.

Old 04-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
kspades
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Sounds good...I'll try and report. one thing wasnt clear, do I copy the vmware-distrib directory to /usr/local/src or do I copy the contents of vmware-distrib to /usr/local/src/ ?

cp -r ~/vmware-distrib /usr/local/src

or

cp -r ~/vmware-distrib/* /usr/local/src

Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Ageless
LQ Newbie

I dont really think it matters that the folder is located there exactly, but yes I copied the folder and contents /usr/local/src/vmware-distrib/

Old 04-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #8
kspades
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
it didnt work, it still crapped out.
Actually when I tried to do a yast -i VMWare.xxx.rpm from command line, yast just crapped out...so I just did a rpm -i to install it.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:57 AM   #9
fireedo

Rep: Reputation: 30
I've installed vmware workstation 5 but I don't know where is it? (doesn't show up on the Kmenu)

Old 04-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #10
crazibri

In Konsole do a "find / vmware*"

see what it reports back to you... or even better use the fine option in the Kmenu. Then maybe you can find it that way.
Usually Suse puts stuff in your /usr folder somewhere... sometimes in /opt

Old 05-01-2005, 01:44 AM   #11
fireedo

I know there is somewhere ...
but how I can run this program to install e.g windows XP?

Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #12
equinox

I know how!

You need to have your kernel sources and devel tools installed (i.e gcc, make etc...)

# cd /usr/src/linux

# make mrproper

# make cloneconfig

# make prepare

then run

# vmware-config.pl

And enjoy

Old 05-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
kspades
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by equinox
I know how!

You need to have your kernel sources and devel tools installed (i.e gcc, make etc...)

# cd /usr/src/linux

# make mrproper

# make cloneconfig

# make prepare

then run

# vmware-config.pl

And enjoy
you da MAN!
This worked perfectly, thanks.

Care to explain how/what your method did? I know those 'makes' are part of normal kernel compilation, but why would VMware break because of my src tree?

Old 06-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #14
malevolent
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE

Quote:
Originally posted by Ageless
5.0 VMware is pretty easy to setup under 9.3 suse. You should have 2 packages a rpm and a tar.gz package. Use YaST to run the vmware-workstation-5.0.0-xxxxxx.i386.rpm which will prompt YaST to install the related packages. You will need your Suse 9.3 setup disk, if cds youll need disk 2,4,5. Follow those prompts in YaST. Then extract the vmware-workstation-5.0.0-xxxxxx.i386.tar.gz and copy the folder over to /usr/local/scr/.

Then open the vmware-distrib folder and execute ./vmware-install.pl. I think I might have had to chmod +x the file before executing. Once installed it will ask if you want to run the config say yes. Youll have to agree to the license agreement and then answer a few simple questions to complete the config. After that you should see on the Kmenu under Systems a new folder "more programs --> VMware workstation"

Click to run and then on the menu enter your license key and your done. I couldnt get the 3d support to work for the video card, but it apparently works well for 8500 and lower ati cards. You can go to vmware.com/support to get more info on the 3d video acceleration support. If any one can get 3d support for a 9800 pro it would be appreciated, Id like to try some 3d games on the virtual machine.
i installed vmware with kpackage with no problems....

If you have problems, yo should recompile the entire kernel as said here:
http://home.homefrontus.com/vmware/suse_vmware5.0.html

Old 06-20-2005, 09:50 AM   #15
equinox

Lol clearly you didn't read the rest of the replies :whistle: