LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #16
Alfred-Augustus

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post

And then edit the file /etc/default/cpufreq and put the governor you want to have by default in there (replace the current entry).
I verified with cpufreq-info that intel-cpufreq driver is changed to acpi-cpufreq driver.
And I verified all 4 cpu cores are set to the conservative governor.

I will test it for a few days and report back.

Thanks!

Last edited by Alfred-Augustus; 05-22-2022 at 07:38 AM.

Old 05-22-2022, 07:34 AM   #17
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred-Augustus View Post
I am not well versed in wayland.
Do you mean that konsole has a wayland version and an X version?
And I am running the X version in wayland?
Neither am I.
However, KDE and by extension konsole should be able to run on it natively.
IMO you should make sure you run a native wayland session; maybe try to uninstall Xwayland, just to see what it would take with it (unless whatever you use to manage packages doesn't have proper dependency resolution).

The same applies to your browsers of course; make sure they run under wayland natively and/or use hardware accelaration.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #18
zeebra

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638
Quote:
I will test it for a few days and report back.
Don't forget you need to set it at every boot in Lilo or reconfigure that option into Lilo permanently.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:00 AM   #19
Alfred-Augustus

Original Poster
Quote:
Don't forget you need to set it at every boot in Lilo or reconfigure that option into Lilo permanently.
I added the line below into lilo.conf, and reconfigured lilo.
It seems to work automatically now.

Code:
append="intel_pstate=disable"

Old 05-25-2022, 07:10 PM   #20
zeebra

Rep: Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638Reputation: 638
So, any impressions? Did it help?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:15 PM   #21
Alfred-Augustus

Original Poster
Quote:
So, any impressions? Did it help?
I feel it is slightly improved.

I feel Windows has a more aggressive CPU fan usage. After I switch from Linux to Win, I can feel the fan comes on immediatly and blowing out hot air. In a few minutes, most of the heat that i can feel on the top left side built up by previous Linux usage was being removed by Windows. So my theory is that the difference between Win and Linux is mostly the fan control software.

This laptop seems to have a very inefficient passive cooling system.

I used my sister's laptop (Lenovo Z51) for comparison, and hers is nice and cool for my hands, even in warm room temperature. And its fan is barely ever come on.

I have recently found that a small desktop fan really helps. I have it blowing across the keyboard. I guess this is just what I have to do.

p.s. I have already replaced the CPU thermal paste; cleaned the CPU fan; inspected the heat tubes; and upgraded the HDD to SSD.

Last edited by Alfred-Augustus; 05-26-2022 at 05:12 AM.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:09 PM   #22
zeebra

Quote:
So my theory is that the difference between Win and Linux is mostly the fan control software.

This laptop seems to have a very inefficient passive cooling system.
Yea, it does depend on the computer design too. But the advantage of lower clocking is also longer battery time and a more silent computer.

But if it's of any interest, there are ways to tweak fans if the Kernel supports it. Dunno much about it, but there is something called "fancontrol", it's included in Slackware and part of "sensors" (lm-sensors). You could for example set the fan to be more aggressive if you wanted (starting at a lower temperature and/or maxing at another temperature)

Last edited by zeebra; 05-26-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:36 AM   #23
Alfred-Augustus

Original Poster

Last edited by Alfred-Augustus; 05-27-2022 at 05:58 AM.

Old 06-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #24
mrapathy

Distribution: Slackware,Debian

Rep: Reputation: 66
I have a Acer Aspire. I found out with video's how to take the case off and I drilled some holes for the internal blower and added some heatsinks to my cpu bracket. need to add some holes for heatsinks on bracket otherwise not good airflow. After drilling the holes it is way cooler and I added a rosewill 5 fan laptop cooler. plugs into usb for power. has a adjustable fan control.

good program in linux and windows is gkrellm. though dont think windows version has sensors working. I watch my temps except when gaming.