LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
George528

Distribution: Arch, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2
How to easily switch desktop environments?

I have fully installed XFCE desktop environment including its window manager, panel, xfdesktop xfce terminal and a bunch of xfce plugins on gentoo distro. Now, i wanted to try a new window manager, specifically suckless'es dwm.
My first problem came up when i didn't know how to change the default WM because dwm doesnt support --replace command. I had to disable it from "Current Session" by setting restart style to Never, and enabled dwm in application autostart. So its viewed as an application and not a core component of the environment. I also noticed the xfce4-panel and xfdesktop doesnt mix very well with dwm, its kinda wierd.

And here my question comes:
I don't want every time to modify the application autostart when i want to use full XFCE or dwm only, no xfce plugin or anything related to xfce. How can i easily isolate xfce DE from DWM and vice versa?
I want while dwm is running, xfce to not use any system resources, and use suckless'es terminal st, instead of xfce terminal. And when the time comes and i want to use xfce only, dwm to be inactive and use xfce terminal. I want to keep this compability, or better said ecosystem. How do i achieve this "dual boot", preferably without rebooting? Is it possible?

Last edited by George528; 06-17-2021 at 08:49 AM.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
DavidMcCann
LQ Veteran

Distribution: PCLinuxOS, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314Reputation: 2314
The display manager you log in with should enable you to select the desktop environment when you do so — some icon next to your name, or a gear-wheel, or something — it obviously depends on which DM you use.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
George528

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
The display manager you log in with should enable you to select the desktop environment when you do so — some icon next to your name, or a gear-wheel, or something — it obviously depends on which DM you use.
i use LightDM at the moment

but DWM is not a DE as a whole, its more complicated

Last edited by George528; 06-17-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140Reputation: 6140
Per the Arch Wiki, I see that DWM is a window manager, not a desktop environment. That's not really relevant to your question about how to choose the desired interface. The method is the same whether the interface is a DE or a WM.

You should be able to select it at time of login in the manner that DavidMcCann described above. Somewhere on the login screen will be an icon that will enable you to select your preferred DE/WM; in experience, it's most often near the login dialog or in the upper right corner of the screen. Sometimes--rarely--the icon doesn't appear until after you type in your user name.

Last edited by frankbell; 06-17-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:25 AM   #5
George528

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Per the Arch Wiki, I see that DWM is a window manager, not a desktop environment. That's not really relevant to your question about how to choose the desired interface. The method is the same whether the interface is a DE or a WM.

You should be able to select it at time of login in the manner that DavidMcCann described above. Somewhere on the login screen will be an icon that will enable you to select your preferred DE/WM; in experience, it's most often near the login dialog or in the upper right corner of the screen. Sometimes--rarely--the icon doesn't appear until after you type in your user name.
thanks i can now switch to dwm easily.

Tags
desktop environment, dwm, profile, window manager, xfce