LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Desktop
User Name
Password
Linux - Desktop This forum is for the discussion of all Linux Software used in a desktop context.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
AlienProber
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Garuda

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to disable plasma desktop effects for a single application?

I'm running Acro Linux with the Plasma 5.20.5 desktop and would like to know if there is a way to disable the desktop effects for a specific application while leaving the effects enabled for all other applications? I ask cause after installing AIMP using Wine and launching AIMP and moving it's window it shakes. I'm pretty sure the only reason it shakes is because of the desktop effect for Plasma. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Last edited by AlienProber; 01-09-2021 at 06:13 AM.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
Doesn't look like it.
A quick search turned up:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/7582...de-permanently
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244696
Feel free to searchthe web or your KDE's config menu more thoroughly.

Old 01-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Previous: MacOS, Red Hat, Coherent, Consensys SVR4.2, Tru64, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienProber View Post
I'm pretty sure the only reason it shakes is because of the desktop effect for Plasma.
Have you looked at the options in Workspace Behavior -> Desktop Effects in the System Settings menu? Which of the desktop effects do you have enabled? I've looked at the stock set of desktop effects and I cannot find one that claims to produce a shaking window effect. I even looked at the list of effects available in the "Get New Desktop Effects" dialog and can't find that looks like it would be the culprit when searching for "window" and "shake". Now I'm only running Plasma 5.18 on Leap 15.2 so I guess my mileage may vary.

Do you really need that bit of eye candy? Especially if it turns out to be an annoyance in some situations?

I've tried all that stuff in the past and turned off the majority of it after a brief period of "Well isn't that clever?"

Cheers...

Old 01-10-2021, 05:08 AM   #4
AlienProber
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondoho View Post
Doesn't look like it.
A quick search turned up:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/7582...de-permanently
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=244696
Feel free to searchthe web or your KDE's config menu more thoroughly.

Thanks for the links they are much appreciated but next time feel free to make the correct assumption and that would be that I did do a search and came up with nothing hence why I created a help thread. Thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnturn View Post
Have you looked at the options in Workspace Behavior -> Desktop Effects in the System Settings menu? Which of the desktop effects do you have enabled? I've looked at the stock set of desktop effects and I cannot find one that claims to produce a shaking window effect. I even looked at the list of effects available in the "Get New Desktop Effects" dialog and can't find that looks like it would be the culprit when searching for "window" and "shake". Now I'm only running Plasma 5.18 on Leap 15.2 so I guess my mileage may vary.

Do you really need that bit of eye candy? Especially if it turns out to be an annoyance in some situations?

I've tried all that stuff in the past and turned off the majority of it after a brief period of "Well isn't that clever?"

Cheers...
I did not say that one of the desktop effect is for shaking windows. What I said is AIMP when installed through Wine and launched and I move AIMP's window it shacks, hence why I only want to disable desktop effects on AIMP to see if that stops AIMP from shaking. As for what you find annoying I like very much and so do LOTS of others. Clever would of you not posting in this thread at all.

@ondoho Both of those are for turning the compositor completely off system wide when a app is launched then automatically back on when the app is closed. As I said I just want to exclude AIMP from having the desktop effects applied to it without completely turning the desktop effects.

Last edited by AlienProber; 01-11-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:45 PM   #5
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Previous: MacOS, Red Hat, Coherent, Consensys SVR4.2, Tru64, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienProber View Post
I did not say that one of the desktop effect is for shaking windows.
Actually, you did say that you wanted to disable a desktop effect (or, rather, all of them) for at least that application. Some may have forgotten but one of the first bits of eye candy that came to Linux was a desktop manager effect that wobbled windows when they were moved. Have you tried globally disabling desktop effects to see if that stops the Wine/AIMP window(s) from shaking? If disabling them does not eliminate the problem then, in my considered opinion, the desktop affects are not the problem. Just a guess as I don't use it for anything but maybe it's Wine.

Good luck...

Old 01-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
AlienProber
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Sometime later I'll disable all the effects and see what I get. I'll report back either way. Thanks