LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Bodhi
User Name
Password
Bodhi This forum is for the discussion of Bodhi Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #16
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer

Distribution: Bodhi

Rep: Reputation: 437Reputation: 437Reputation: 437Reputation: 437Reputation: 437

That is hard to say without me knowing what packages are being removed. As long as a Linux kernel is there and you can switch to a tty the system is ALWAYS fixable. Apt will try to prevent you from remove the last kernal or any other package that will make your system completely unbootable. In theory that is.

Regardless of how much is removed, it is fixable for me if I can switch to a tty. It may not be easy nor possible for the so called average user to do it. Briefly what you have to do is be sure everything needed by Bodhi is reinstalled and everything is configured right. You can use a fresh install of bodhi on a VM that has been updated/upgrade asa reference. For example to get the package list of everything needed or to look at config files.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #17
Snugbug

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The latest version of Google Earth, or let's say GE, available as a .deb, is 7.3.3.7721, which is one version behind the latest one for Windows. 7.3.3.7721 at the same time, is the one that doesn't work in Bodhi. Yet, it does work in other Ubuntu based distros on the identical machine.

Last weekend, I found a post on the web, saying 7.1.8.3036-r0-amd64.deb is working and indeed, it does. The only problem with that version is the nag screen right at the start of GE, asking me to update to the latest version.

That's why I'm still looking for a solution regarding 7.3.3.7721, if any.

Last edited by Snugbug; 09-21-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #18
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer

Rep: Reputation: 437Reputation: 437Reputation: 437Reputation: 437Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugbug View Post
The latest version of Google Earth, or let's say GE, available as a .deb, is 7.3.3.7721, which is one version behind the latest one for Windows. 7.3.3.7721 at the same time, is the one that doesn't work in Bodhi. Yet, it does work in other Ubuntu based distros on the identical machine...
It is working here (BL5.1) for me on my machine not that that helps you much. If it works for a Ubuntu 18.04 based distro on the same machine, I would compare package lists of the two distros and see if there is any packages missing on your machine that could account for the problem. You can run apt list --installed > distro_name.installed on the working distro and then apt list --installed > bodhi.installed on BL 5.x and compare these two packages lists noting stuff the working distro has installed but bodhi lacks. (man diff for example and use it to make a diff file to look at). This will give you a lot of packages to look at most likely. Google each one missing on Bodhi and try to figure out if it could be the cause of the problem.

This all is time consuming. But I have did it before in the past on issues where an app does not work in Bodhi but did on another ubuntu based distro.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #19
Snugbug

Original Poster
Quote:
You can run apt list --installed > distro_name.installed on the working distro and then apt list --installed > bodhi.installed on BL 5.x and compare these two packages lists noting stuff the working distro has installed but bodhi lacks.
Sounds like an expedient way to go, but there's one problem, I see: As there are differences in the list of installed apps and tools on both distros, there will be most likely more differences than just the ones referring to the GE installation and its dependencies. I'm not sure, I can tell the relevant ones from the other ones.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #20
rbtylee
Bodhi Developer

Quote:
... there will be most likely more differences than just the ones referring to the GE installation and its dependencies. I'm not sure, I can tell the relevant ones from the other ones.
It takes time skill and knowledge. I look at the package lists a lot on different distros so I can often pick out something like that. If not I google packages to see what they do and try to make an semi educated guess. If it seems reasonable try installing it and see if it helps. Be aware every install on Bodhi will change its package list, so you may need to regenerate its list and diff file. Also note you can use your bash history to keep track of what you have installed to removed.

It is up to you if you wish to go this route. I just threw it out there because it is what I would try if I had such an issue.

Old 09-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #21
Snugbug

Original Poster
Today, I was able to fix it randomly, just by fixing a tearing problem which also existed on my Bodhi and I'm very glad, I don't have to go through the package comparing procedure. What I did is, I added the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-graphics.conf with this code inside:

Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   Option      "TripleBuffer" "true"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
   Option      "DRI"          "false"
EndSection
If that folder doesn't exist already, simply create it.
"DRI" has to be set to "false", "true" doesn't fix the GE problem. Now, GE is working fine and video tearing has gone. There's just a little problem left, because videos are not running perfectly smooth. Instead, there's a little stuttering, especially videos with a higher resolution, like for example 720p or so.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #22
cordx

Distribution: bodhi 5.1.0

Rep: Reputation: 184Reputation: 184
Quote:
There's just a little problem left, because videos are not running perfectly smooth. Instead, there's a little stuttering, especially videos with a higher resolution, like for example 720p or so.
are these videos in a web browser or a media player?

Old 09-23-2020, 03:52 AM   #23
the_waiter
Bodhi Developer

Distribution: Bodhi Linux

Rep: Reputation: 665Reputation: 665Reputation: 665Reputation: 665Reputation: 665Reputation: 665
Yes cordx, good question

If tearing in web browser, maybe enabling compton could help. If related to player, I can recommend mpv player. No tearing at all here.

Stefan