LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Other *NIX
User Name
Password
Other *NIX This forum is for the discussion of any UNIX platform that does not have its own forum. Examples would include HP-UX, IRIX, Darwin, Tru64 and OS X.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2020, 01:18 AM   #16
Turbocapitalist
LQ Guru

Distribution: Linux Mint, Devuan, OpenBSD

Rep: Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713Reputation: 3713

Two other projects to take a look at would be OpenBSD and HaikuOS. They're both quite different operating systems. OpenBSD in particular emphasizes writing clear, organized, and easy to read code and they cull and refactor often. So it can provide a positive example in several ways.

Edit: another, which was once a one-man project, was CP/M : http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html

Last edited by Turbocapitalist; 07-02-2020 at 02:23 AM.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #17
rnturn

Distribution: openSUSE, Raspbian, Slackware. Previous: MacOS, Red Hat, Coherent, Consensys SVR4.2, Tru64, Solaris

Rep: Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logimite View Post
Also, can somebody move this thread into linux-general. I don't know how and I think that it would be better if I made an os in linux, since it is open source and I don't have to reconstruct the wheel.
You might try to track down a copy of the "Lion Book" (full title: ``Lions' Commentary on Unix''). It's a description of UNIX innards from the later '70s. It could give you some ideas about how to get started. If you're really serious about this, you're in for some long nights.

I was a little surprised at how much it's going for nowadays on Amazon.

Good luck...